Will I notice the Difference in timing between 7-7-7-24 and 8-8-8-20

chronicbucks

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
hey guys, so i just built my computer, LOVING IT BTW, anyway ive got OCZ PLatinum ram rated at 7-7-7-24, but right now CPU Z is telling me its at 8-8-8-20. Running at 1066mhz instead of 1600

ive got my system overclocked with the i7 D0 stepping @3.8ghz. With rather low voltages, and as of now, im loving how everything is running.

Right now with my overclock, i haven't changed the RAM voltage, still at 1.5, and when i try to raise the speed ratio in BIOS from x6 to x8, the computer does not boot!

i was just wondering if other than running benchmarks, would I even be able to notice a difference in the two speeds and the two timings???

build
HAF 932
i7 d0 Stepping @3.8ghz
Gigabyte UD4P
6GB OCZ Platinum Ram
EVGA GTZ 275 Superclocked edition
WD Caviar Black 1 TB
+ a bunch of coolers and other ***

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
either or and you'd never see it outside a benchmark, but with the clock speed and the cas off there is gonna be some difference.

1066is the default speed for that MB with anything higher technically being an overclock. I would probably get what I could out of the timings and leave the clock alone. You should be able to get lower than the rated timings as they were for the 1600 speed.

No you won't see a Noticeable difference between those timings in benchmarks,lower timings are better for OC'ng but sometimes u will need to raise them in order to get a stable OC(like your case)

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Without running and looking at benchmark numbers, if your eyes/brain alone are able to calculate about a 0.1% diffrerence, then the answer is yes.

However, in some benchmarks, higher latencies negate the results of higher speeds.