SEAGATE BARRACUDA SD 15 FIRMWARE - Be scared be very scared...

bdiasdacosta

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
:pfff: For those the have SEAGATE HDD be scared be very scared...

Here's all the story across the RMA's.

Type Your Question Data recovery in guarantee RMA1003163239 ----------ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref
Description Hello,

As I writhed earlier(Last RMA) the disk it's already sent to SEAGATE for replacement because it´s totally nonoperational after the SD 15 firmware update.

I wonder why didn´t SEAGATE send me a new disc when sent my data back. So SEAGATE knew the disk although its working it's far from good to work. I payed a new postal expense to SEAGATE, and you could solve (all) the problem in the last warranty execution (firmare update for data recovery and a brand new HDD) it´s too much efficiency for SEAGATE???

Best regards,

Bernardo

Hello,

The best news are the data of my disc was intact, good work Seagate!
The bad news are the disc its completely unoperacional does lots of noise and stops lots of times, its totally impossible to work with it.
I will send you the disc for replacing for a new one on behalf the warranty contract.
Best regards,

Bernardo

Hello,

Did SEAGATE fixed the Firmware SD 15 error?

Does my data come intact?

Best regards,

Bernardo Costa

Hello,

Passed more than a week, since the last information, I don´t know nothing about this case.

Best regards,

Bernardo

Hello,

At this day I don´t know what´s the situation with my disc wreckage.

Please tell me what you´re doing?

Did you installed the Firmware?

The data is intact?

When you are going to send my disc back?

Many days passed and I don´t know nothing about this (very) long process of warranty execution.

Best regards,

Bernardo Costa
Hello,

What I find most incomprehensible within SEAGATE action in this process is that after seven days of sending the disk to Seagate, and after more than eight emails and RMA's,SEAGATE have not checked what is the cause of the disk breakdown.

Do more, do more quickly, Check the firmware then we talk.

Best Regards,

Bernardo Costa

> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:52:06 +0000
> From: discsupport@seagate.com
> To: bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com
> Subject: RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01051165 end_of_the_skype_highlighting [ ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
>
> Hello,
>
> Actually, it's quite the contrary. Seagate's only responsibility is for the drive. Any data you put on the drive is YOUR responsibility. Therefore, if it is a firmware issue, we will update the firmware. Once done, your drive will be accessible again.
>
> If however the drive cannot be made accessible by a firmware update, then regular data recovery will be necessary and that has and never will be free. Data has never been covered in the warranty. If a drive has a mechanical failure, then we will replace the drive. Again, the data is your responsibility and any data recovery will be at your cost.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dylan
> Seagate Technical Support
> Web: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
> Chat: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/chat/supportchat_en.html
> Europe Support:
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea
> Asia Pacific Support: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/contact-techsupport-apac
>

> ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref

Hello,

I understand that SEAGATE, want to minimize costs, but either the firmware or the harware, as far as I am concerned, are strictly SEAGATE issues according to the guarantee.

As I said in other e-mails (and RMA's), I will not pay for data recovery because it is the wreckage of the disc that have caused the failure, and that is SEAGATE responsability. The point here is data recovery, I can buy a similar disk for 40 €, but recovering data is much more expensive, for my personal data there´s no money to resolve... If the disk was okay, the problem of data recovery didn´t existed. Here is a point of honour, or SEAGATE assumes and recover the error or I will make all publicity for its flawless resolution(tom's hardware, Cnet, EU consumer wrigts, all sites, chats and blogues concerning hardware reviews, everiday I will put notice, of the resolution of this wreckage). SEAGATE can count on me to all embarrasment that I can get).

On a finance strictly focus if SEAGATE don´t recover my data can loose 100 or more hardisks sells wich compared to SEAGATE data recovery it's peanuts.

I Know people in Portugal wich SEAGATE have done disc replacement anda data recovery for free, when dealing with the SD15 firmware wreckage.

For me, as a client, its indiferent were the origin of malfunctioning is. My problem is SEAGATE hardisk, wich is on guarantee period, where is the problem of the disc???!!! I don´t give a damn.

Best Regards,

Bernardo

> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:48:25 +0000
> From: discsupport@seagate.com
> To: bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com
> Subject: RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [ ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
>
> Hello,
>
> We will send the drive to i365 for testing.
>
> However, since the data is not covered by the warranty, only the drive is, if it turns out that the drive does not spin, or if it has some sort of mechanical fault, you will be responsible for the cost of data recovery.
>
> If the firmware update gains access to the data, then the firmware update will be done at our cost. However, again, if the firmware update does not resolve the issue, then normal data recovery will be required and you will be responsible for any payment due.
>
> If you have any further questions, please let us know.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Dylan
> Seagate Technical Support
> Web: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
> Chat: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/chat/supportchat_en.html
> Europe Support:
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea
> Asia Pacific Support: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/contact-techsupport-apac
>

> ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref

Hello,

SEAGATE must decide for itself if the discs spins or not. IF YOU DON´T KNOW YOU MUST KNOW!!!!!

Seagate has the technicians. The problem for the spinning of the disc its a hardware problem so its easy to see that is SEAGATE total responsability. As I said I don't know if the disc spins (neither I have the obligation to know that as a customer), but the conclusion that the disc is not spinning is a tecnical issue, so SEAGATE must resolve.

The diagnostic is SEAGATE work, SEAGATE cannot decide technical issues by e-mail questionaires, even the disc is not in my computer, but with SEAGATE.

MY DECISION - Only Three claims: 1) Give me all my data back (The most important thing within warranty duties); 2)Give me a proper functioning disc (compliance with warranty), 3) Comply the last numbers without any cost for me(even if I already paid the delivery costs to SEAGATE).

Its simple to see the enormous costs, with loss of utilization of my computer, that I had with the wreckage of the disc, I'm forgiving that, but please don´t mess with my good will...

Send my data back, send the disc (new or old since it works), and assume the responsability for the delivery.

Time is running out.

Best Regards,

Bernardo Costa

> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 06:06:00 +0000
> From: discsupport@seagate.com
> To: bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com
> Subject: RE: Regarding Your Seagagate Case # 01051165 [ ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
>
> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately, if the drive does not spin, then it is not the firmware issue. It is likely a mechanical failure and the firmware update will not give you access to the data.
>
> However, you can still recover any data on the drive, but you will need to use the services of a data recovery company. This is a paid service.
>
> If you wish to recover the data, you can make arrangements to pickup the drive at our center in Amsterdam at your cost. You can then send it to data recovery if you wish.
>
> Or, we can continue with the replacement process and send you a replacement drive. It will be an empty replacement drive and your drive will be destroyed.
>
> Please respond with your decision.
>
> If you have any further questions, please let us know.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Dylan
> Seagate Technical Support
> Web: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
> Chat: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/chat/supportchat_en.html
> Europe Support:

> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea
> Asia Pacific Support: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/contact-techsupport-apac
>

> ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref

Hello,

In order to resolve and speed up the process here's my answers to your questions:

>Were there any errors before the drive disappeared from the system?
No Errors
> Were there any noises?
I listed some noises but as the weather is hot, here in Portugal, I thinked it was the cooling system or my GPU (Nvidia 9800 GTX) since I work with rendering.
> Though it is not recognized, does the drive still seem to spin?
I think it does not spinned at all.

Please send my drive (or another one equal or better) but send my data.

Thank you very much.

I´m looking forward to your excelent work!

Best Regards,

Bernardo Costa

> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:27:41 +0000
> From: discsupport@seagate.com
> To: bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com
> Subject: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [ ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
>
> Hello,
>
> We have contacted our center in Amsterdam and requested they stop the processing on this drive and they have returned with their response. The drive is now set aside. However, we need a response in a timely manner.
>
> I have checked your serial number and it is one of the affected drives.
>
> However, the case will need to be validated. So if you could answer the following questions, I can then validate the case.
>
> Were there any errors before the drive disappeared from the system?
> Were there any noises?
> Though it is not recognized, does the drive still seem to spin?
>
> Once the case is validated, we can create a case and pass it onto our data recovery service so that they may perform the firmware update for you. Once done, the drive is accessible again your data will still be there.
>
> If you have any further questions, please let us know.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Dylan
> Seagate Technical Support
> Web: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
> Chat: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/chat/supportchat_en.html
> Europe Support:
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea
> Asia Pacific Support: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/contact-techsupport-apac
>

> ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref

Hello,

Allright. Give back my drive (wich I suported the expense to send to SEAGATE), with the firmware updated, and properpely functioning with all original data. I think that SEAGATE must pay the delivery of the drive since the only thing that has done was installing the updated firmaware.

Otherwise If the Drive is going to be destroyed, it was because SEAGATE don´t read RMA1003163239 nor read the paper that I sent with the disk, indicating the critical value of that data for my personal life. In both cases the situation is very abnormal.

Regardingly, Seagate there's a remote chance to solve this problem correctly accordingly with warranty responsabilities.

I Believe SEAGATE can do it.

Feed my hope.

Best Regards,

Bernardo Costa

Hello,

Unfortunately, the drive has already been received and is in process. This normally means that the drive will be destroyed. If you needed the firmware updated on the drive to retrieve the data, you needed to contact us so that we could send it to our data recovery department first for the firmware update. As it is now, the drive will be destroyed.

However, there is a slight chance that it has not been destroyed yet and we can stop the processing of the drive. If we do, you will be responsible for the charges for having the drive sent back to you. You will need to arrange for pickup from our center in Amsterdam and have the drive shipped back to you at your cost.

If you are willing to do so, then please respond and we will stop processing.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Dylan
Seagate Technical Support
Web: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
Chat: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/chat/supportchat_en.html
Europe Support:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea
Asia Pacific Support: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/contact-techsupport-apac

ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref

Greetings:

My hardrive is wrecked by a detected mal-functioning (SD15 firmware version), this caused tremendously great upset. I want my data back and is responsability of SEAGATE to recover the data of RMA1003163239 if not I have no choice but to use all the ways, in Internet publicity of this case and European Union consumer wrights intitutions. Of course I have the right to talk everione I know that Seagate assumed the error but not is consequences. I believe SEAGATE as all the interest to rescue and send me all the data of my wrecked disc. I just want the personal, and very intime information that is on my disc.

Attn: RMA1003163239
SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY, INT'L
Koolhovenlaan 1
Schiphol-Rijk
1119 NB
Nederland
Return

Products Model Number /
Part Number Serial Number Service / Upgrade Options Price
Seagate BARRACUDA drive
7200-RPM SATA
500 GB ST3500320AS
9BX154-303 9QM5M2GS
Contact Name Bernardo Costa Status Re-Opened
Case Submitted Yes Re-Open Solved Case and Notify Support?
Escalate Case To Support? Yes - Escalate Case To Seagate Support
Case Number 01051165
System Make Other
Product Information:
Product Brand Seagate
Sub Product 1 Serial ATA Drives Se
Sub Product 2 Barracuda
Request Type Warranty
Operating System XP Home 32-bit
Serial Number 9QM5M2GS
Order RMA # RMA1003163239
Model Number ST3500320AS
System Information:
Date/Time Closed
Date/Time Opened 6/30/2010 3:48 PM

KB Solutions

No records to display
Attachments

No records to display
Case Comments

No records to display
Emails

Status Subject Email Address Message Date
New
Inbound
RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [
ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
Hello, At this day I don´t know what´s the situation with my disc wreckage. ... bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com 7/14/2010 2:49 AM
New
Inbound
RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [
ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
Hello, What I find most incomprehensible with SEAGATE action in this proces... bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com 7/7/2010 8:39 AM
Sent
Outbound
RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [ ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
Hello, Actually, it's quite the contrary. Seagate's only responsibility i... bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com 7/7/2010 7:52 AM
Replied
Inbound
RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [
ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
Hello, I understand that SEAGATE, want to minimize costs, but either the fir... bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com 7/7/2010 7:25 AM
Sent
Outbound
RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 01051165 [ ref:00D0hhzl.50039QTWf:ref ]
Hello, We will send the drive to i365 for testing. However, since the d... bdiasdacosta@hotmail.com 7/7/2010 4:48 AM