Can this motherboard be saved?

CMaximum

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I have an Abit AV8 socket 939 motherboard which stopped booting up a couple of days ago. LEDs on the board light up, fans start spinning, and the POST indicator displays numbers, but nothing comes up on the screen. After about 5 seconds a two tone alarm starts going off. The tones are of equal length. I don't know much about POST, but according to the manual I think it's getting all the way through. The final code is "9.0." - "Complete uGuru initial process. AWARD BIOS take over booting job".

I've tried resetting the CMOS both with and without the battery. I've tried another PSU, different memory, memory in different slots, and removing every component (HDDs, optical drive, PCI soundcard, video card) - same result every time. Any suggestions as to what else I can try before trashing the motherboard?

I've tried resetting the CMOS both with and without the battery. I've tried another PSU, different memory, memory in different slots, and removing every component (HDDs, optical drive, PCI soundcard, video card) - same result every time. Any suggestions as to what else I can try before trashing the motherboard?

Try installing a different working processor.

3B tech has the best selection of socket 939 boards that are affordable. Starmicro has several 939 cpus, starting at $19 shipped. I wouldn't invest too much in your old setup. Better to sell off the ddr and upgrade to newer stuff. Newegg has the 7750 oem amd cpu for only $42 shipped this morning in their email promos. I got my ddr2 4 gb kit for $28 after rebate a few days ago at Fry's.