Upgrading motherboard help!

xXxSL4Y3RxXx

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I currently installed a new motherboard and my computer was unable to boot. (vista would crash with blue screen after loading). I downloaded a vista recovery dvd in order to boot with the dvd and repair vista but vista said it was unable to repair the problems. What other thing should i try? i am unable to reinstall windows using the downloaded dvd. Is there any way i can reinstall vista using the recovery partition on my hard drive? (No official recovery dvd was given to me) Please help!

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You can't just replace your motherboard and expect the os to work. You tried the repair, but it failed. Only option is to do a fresh install or put back the old motherboard. And if you were able to boot, you'd run into activation issues since it sounds like this was an oem computer and you put a non-oem motherboard.

xXxSL4Y3RxXx

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Ok i agree a clean install is necessary but how would i reinstall windows when no vista install dvd was given to me? Would purchasing a new copy of vista be the only fix?

xXxSL4Y3RxXx

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
The system i have came preinstalled with vista home premium 64bit. its an ibuypower by the way... and unfortunatley i dont have a copy of xp

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Since it's a custom built system, it probably has a full version of vista, not oem. In that case, contact ibuypower to get a full install disc. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a new copy.

xXxSL4Y3RxXx

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Oh ok thanx... ill try contacting them. one last question though. what is one way to know whether i have a full or oem version of vista?

If it came from a builder, it's an probably an OEM version.
You get the CD and license only.
The retail version has a box.
Same software, no support from Microsoft. Support from the manufacturer during the warranty period.