Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP professional upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional

Last response: in Windows XP
July 12, 2011 6:01:48 PM

I have a 386 computer with 2 GB memory that does not support Windows 7 upgrade,it has Windows 2000 professional installed , I want to upgrade to Windows XP professional ,because I have files in it that I most keep , what is the chapoest way to do it ? thanks

Please don't post your email.Thanks :hello: 
July 12, 2011 6:17:20 PM

Hello and welcome top TYom's Hardware Forums.

As much as I like XP, the reality is it will be out of support in three years time so the jump to Windows 7 is better made in one financial cost than one now and another later. All the files you have stored in your 386 (a 386 with 2Gb???) can be transferred into Windows 7 and the only real problem will be if you're using Outlook Express.

Have you looked at the cost of a legitimate copy of XP Professional Upgrade? I reckon on £80 in the UK - Amazon.com will sell you a Windows 7 version of a little more than that - albeit only the Home version.

If price is a problem, consider using a Linux Operating System at no cost at all. It will run as a LiveCD in your box and install in Partitions on your hard disk or on another if you install a slave. You can then access all the files from the 2000 system and transfer them over. Have a look at PCLinuxOS at http://www.pclinuxos.com and see what you think.

!