Sign in with
Your question

Old Hard Drives in new build?

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2009 4:39:15 PM

Hi,

I'm building a copletely new system but my current harddrives are only about 1 year old and I'd like to just move them from the old machine to the new one. I'm running Windows XP.

Is this possible?

Are there any steps I need to follow or can I just pull them and put them in the new one?

Thanks,
Paul

More about : hard drives build

February 6, 2009 4:45:13 PM

Best to reformat and do a clean install of windows, then install the new MB chipset drivers. Otherwise, a 'repair' install of windows MAY work, then install the new MB's chipset drivers. The old windows installation has the MB/chipset drivers from the old board and that may cause problems. Can't recommend the repair install, fresh install would be ideal, but Google Windows XP repair install pocedure for details.
February 7, 2009 3:53:49 AM

Yep +1

It's not just drivers that have to be replaced, there's a whole deeper layer of hardware configuration.
February 7, 2009 5:34:54 AM

pkiely13 said:
Hi,

I'm building a copletely new system but my current harddrives are only about 1 year old and I'd like to just move them from the old machine to the new one. I'm running Windows XP.

Is this possible?

Are there any steps I need to follow or can I just pull them and put them in the new one?

Thanks,
Paul

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7790...
!