To relaod vista, or wait to win 7 or have both? help :)

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I know this isnt really for this section though didnt know where else to put it. i just want some opinions on best ideas.

ok im a student and i will be finishing my exams in 3 weeks, and will have a week off. all the work on my pc will no longer be important as i will be going into the next year so its a perfect time for a sping clean of the pc.

also my PC is getting really messy. i have 2x500GB hard drives in RAID 0, which have vista 32,64,linux and xp on them. but i really only use vista 64 now. i have a 500GB hard drive for data though its been causing the PC to crash now and then. and a 250GB hard drive which works but the sata connection is physically broke and now only works with one cable as the broke bit is in the cable lol.

iv just bought a new WD 1TB drive to replace the 2 dodgy ones. and i will kep my movies, music and games on the 1tb drive, although my fav games will go on the RAID :)

im wondering if i should

1. back up my data, format the entire drive and relaod windows vista. and just keep that for a long time

or

2. do same as above and then when win 7 is out format vista and load win 7 in its place meaning vista will only be on there for a few months

or

3. partition the drive, so i can put vista on now, then load win 7 later and have dual boot and maybe delete vista after a bit. but left with a random sized data partition

4. or wait for win 7

basically i will have 2 1TB drives as (2 x 500GB) are in RAID 0 and i really only need 1 OS as i never used the otheres

suggestions... :)

hts

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I'd say install Windows 7, since it's RC now (officially offered by Microsoft for download, since 5 May - today, that is, or ... find it somewhere else , you know where...).

I've been using W7 for a week now (when the RC was leaked), after wiping my Vista install, and ..what can I say, it's a great OS, even though it's not the final version.
Most stuff that worked on Vista, works on W7, too (including Kasepersky 2009, for example, which, in theory, shouldn't work; they released a special, technical preview version of the AV for W7).

The interface looks much more polished, the UAC has been tamed to acceptable levels and the new taskbar is fantastic :). You should give it a spin.