Is there a big difference between 512 and 1 GB Memory?

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Pretty much that is it. I'm thinking of picking up a 4870 and wanted to know if there was a big difference between 512 and 1 GB of memory. I'll probably end up picking up two and crossfire both of them.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
i agree with what both posters above said. basically, if you want all the flashy details like AA/AF on max, a higher memory would be needed at higher resolutions. the only thing is be careful of what you buy.

there are cards out there like the 3870 1gb, as an example, don't be fooled by the 1gb. if the GPU does not have the horsepower to process all the extra frame buffers that the memory are holding, it's basically pointless. in the case of the 4870, the GPU has quite a punch, so the 1gb would actually be put to use at higher reso. :)

Zenthar

Distinguished
My rule of thumb is if you want/need to Crossfire, then get 1GB, if not 512MB is mostly enough.

If you don't Crossfire, by the time you reach resolutions high enough to max the 512MB (except for GTA4), the FPS will probably make it unplayable anyway. Then, if you want to play at high resolutions, you will need Crossfire, but the higher memory used would limit you if you only have 512MB.