Sign in with
Your question

Windows Dev. Preview (Windows 8) opinions

Last response: in Windows 7
September 15, 2011 8:00:09 PM

So now that we've had the preview for a couple of days, what everyone opinion of what it has?

I so far like the updated task manager (mostly) and and the ability to mount ISO's without 3rd party tools.

Although the metro UI is still a bit cumbersome in my opinion as there is no easy way to use the a keyboard and mouse with it.

If you want to scroll to the other side, you got to use the scroll bar at the bottom. If you want to exit a Metro app/program, you have to go to the left center edge of the screen and drag over the previous screen and place it near the center screen.

Definitely needs more work for keyboard and mouse usage.

Here some screen shots I've taken of the preview.
http://s760.photobucket.com/albums/xx241/warmon6/Window...

Want any more screen shots of something just let me know.
September 15, 2011 8:13:52 PM

It sucks in my opinion, and will be favorable for future Mac OS and Linux market share gains, as well as iOS an Android tablets
September 15, 2011 8:17:17 PM

I truly love Windows 7, I can't think of many things I would want improved upon (from a general user experience). I think the new UI elements they've added are really a step in the wrong direction.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2011 8:28:28 PM

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like WIN7 to me. The Metro interface makes me think of Media Center, which I never really liked how it was implemented. More of a PITA than anything that I could get done faster and more effectively in windows.

However I will be getting the Beta as soon as I can and give it a test drive. I've heard it may be even "faster" than win7 and faster always sounds good!
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2011 8:31:02 PM

iamboristhespider said:
I truly love Windows 7, I can't think of many things I would want improved upon (from a general user experience). I think the new UI elements they've added are really a step in the wrong direction.

Yes I think WIN7 users will be just as reluctant to move away from their OS as XP users were tenaciously holding on to XP. Microsoft should count on supporting WIN7 for quite a while yet.
September 15, 2011 8:38:25 PM

buzznut said:
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like WIN7 to me. The Metro interface makes me think of Media Center, which I never really liked how it was implemented. More of a PITA than anything that I could get done faster and more effectively in windows.

However I will be getting the Beta as soon as I can and give it a test drive. I've heard it may be even "faster" than win7 and faster always sounds good!

No problem!

Yeah there a lot of windows 7 looks for now but it certainly got a 'not so win7 feel' in some area's.
September 19, 2011 9:03:12 PM

buzznut said:
Yes I think WIN7 users will be just as reluctant to move away from their OS as XP users were tenaciously holding on to XP. Microsoft should count on supporting WIN7 for quite a while yet.

True, and now that I think about it in perspective I remember absolutely hating the ribbon UI in Office 2007, but now I think it's really nice, especially with all the features they offer. I am still not liking the Metro UI though, especially since it's designed to take advantage of touch interfaces, yet there are still relatively few out there.
September 19, 2011 9:08:38 PM

Microsoft is kinda lazy not making two separate OSs, wich btw, the tablet version wont run windows apps
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2011 9:20:06 PM

I like the smaller status bar, but that ribbon is way to dumb.

I hope they will keep classic view in Control panel.
September 19, 2011 10:18:50 PM

nikorr said:
I like the smaller status bar, but that ribbon is way to dumb.

I hope they will keep classic view in Control panel.

i certainly hope so.
!