Help with raid and OS installation on new build

pharmom

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Just upgraded my son's system but can't get past POST.
Here are the components:
MoBo: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x 4 955 Black Edition
PSU: Corsair TX 650W
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1G GDDR5 PCI-E

These are parts I am reusing from his previous computer
Optical Drive One: Lite-On 16X DVD / 52X36X52X CD-RW Drive
Optical Drive Two: NEC ND-3520 16X Dual Layer DVD+/- R/W drive
Media Reader: Alienware 10 in 1 Digital Media Reader/Writer
System Drive: Extreme Performance - Serial ATA Raid 0 - 148GB (74GB x 2) Serial ATA 10,000 RPM w/ 16MB Cache
Storage Drive: Extreme Performance - Serial ATA Raid 0 - 500GB (250GB x 2) Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache

The Raid array was set up by someone else and the previous CPU was Intel. I get thru the POST then get an error message saying "missing Operating system". I have a new Windows 7 64 bit to install but I can't get it installed. I have tried to boot directly to the DVD with the Windows 7 disk in it but that doesn't work.

Please help me get this up and running.

Thanks

enderbean

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

I am thinking you need to reinstall the raid controller for the motherboard.

Used to be it was loaded by pressing F6 during windows installation

Check your motherboard website for directions regarding your raid config if there is no seperate card on the system for that.

You did not mention a RAID card in you specs so I assume it is on the motherboard built in chipset

Usually that is the reason you cant install another option would be to change the mix of HDDs on your system say 1 HDD to boot from then store everything on a RAID 1 for redundancy, make an image of the boot drive incase something goes wrong and live with the performance hit

RAID zero gives you no way to save any files since they are all striped if any of your drives fail anything on the twin drive data wise is toast as well unless you have it backed up or copied somewhere.

regards