Bought custom built PC, getting random blue screens

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I'm blue screening every 6-8 hours or so (although it seems completely random) This one happened while my computer was sitting idle.

errorscreen.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing this? Look familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for any input.

Here are the specs of my PC

(Running on Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit)

Antec 300 case
Intel Dual Core 2 Quad QX6800 2.9 GHZ
Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB
4 GB OCZ Reaper RAM
750GB Samsung F-1 Hard Drive
Intel 975BX2 Mobo
Enhance 500W ATX12V 24+8pin Power Supply
22x Philips DVD+RW/CD+RW

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
If you overclocked, it might be that your OC is unstable, or one of your components might be starting to fail.

I had a buddy who kept getting blue screens, and it was because his PSU was failing and spiking. He replaced it before it fried his mobo luckily.

There are also some browser worms and things like that which can cause blue screens, which you can fix by doing a reinstall of your OS :/

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Well don't jump the gun on a reinstall. Your OS shouldn't be the problem, Vista is a good OS with sp1. It could be some of your system components, in which case a reinstall wouldn't fix anything, just take up a lot of time and and cause a lot of frustration. It could be other things too...bios updates...any number of things.

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I'm not sure what else to do. I could ignore the problem and just let it crash every now and then, I don't know how long my PC will last doing that. Nothing seems to be effected when I reboot after the crash. I'm not familiar with PC builds I don't think I could eyeball if any components were loose or installed incorrectly :/

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Who did you buy it from, friend? someone close that can take a look at it for you?

If not and the reinstall doesn't help:

Download OCCT 3.0 and see if it will finish the one hour stability test (watching the temps so it doesn't go over 55 degrees). If temps get too high shut down OCCT.

Post screen shot of OCCT, plus the voltage (3.3,5,12) screens,temp screens.

Download HD Tune and run benchmark, post screen shot.

Post shots of you bios screens to see if the person who built the computer changed anything.

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Ok I will do these things and post them. I bought the PC from a guy on Craigslist, I've been in contact with him and he says it might be a driver update problem with the 9800GTX+, he linked me to the latest driver update. He said he did a 24 hour stress test that checked out but I will try your methods and post the results. Thanks for your help.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No, you just got that info from AEVM on this forum from the first thread you started with the same problem.

Stick to your first thread.

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Well I just got the error again and since I had the screen shot of it I thought I'd ask about it specifically. The other post was more about what I paid for the hardware.