Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a WD CAviar black work on an intel d865gbf motherboard with xp?

Last response: in Storage
August 14, 2010 3:49:13 AM

Hello,
hi, the lack of sufficient hard drive capacity is forcing me to look for more storage.. I have an intel D865GBFL P4 computer that is about six years old. I have been looking at the WD Caviar Black as a possible SATA storage device. Anyone know if it will work and how much trouble it would be to add? Thanks Steve

Best solution

August 14, 2010 4:59:07 AM

Looks like, from the specs sheet, there are 2 SATA connectors on that motherboard: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865G...

I'm pretty sure the SATA interface on that motherboard is going to be SATA I, but it's a good thing that SATA drives are backwards compatible. As for adding a new hard drive, it would depend on if you have an extra drive bay and power connector in your computer. If anything, you may need to purchase a molex to SATA power adapter.
August 14, 2010 7:10:08 PM

soulbrotha80 said:
Looks like, from the specs sheet, there are 2 SATA connectors on that motherboard: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865G...

I'm pretty sure the SATA interface on that motherboard is going to be SATA I, but it's a good thing that SATA drives are backwards compatible. As for adding a new hard drive, it would depend on if you have an extra drive bay and power connector in your computer. If anything, you may need to purchase a molex to SATA power adapter.

Thank you...The board is supposed to have two SATA connectors. I just wasn't sure the six year old platform would support the SATA interface with XP...I think I will go ahead and order the Caviar Black. Noboby in town seems to have one.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 3:19:54 PM

The most you may need to do, if you're going to use the new hard drive as storage, is download the drivers (unless you still have the drivers disk for that motherboard) for the SATA controller if they're not already seen by XP.
m
l
August 16, 2010 9:30:31 PM

Thank you. I am not very good with computers.....So wish me luck.
m
l
August 21, 2010 3:10:29 AM

Best answer selected by gadwall.
m
l
!