AMD & Intel lawsuits

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
What happened to the you pull our patent we'll pull ours talks between Intel and AMD?

Wasn't something supposed to happen on April 20th (besides the AMD CPU Launch)?

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Intel realised if they did that then all of their current CPU's would be illegal to make and they would have to go back to x86 instead of x86-64 and remove IMC's from their i5/7 line.

after AMD pulls their licenses that is.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

/facepalm

IMC is not pioneered by AMD, but rather Intel and DEC Alpha.
AMD will not pull x86_64 license, because doing so means ending the business

Please get your facts straight.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

No. The license / copyright litigation between companies usually takes YEARS before they get a court hearing, let alone a verdict. After the verdict has been handed down, the losing company will file for appeal, which will, again, take YEARS before a retrial is issued.

So in short, the litigation is still on-going, but it will be a while before we hear anything about them.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks Yomamafor1.

I think I was expecting another press conference from Intel to make a distraction over AMD new release (not that they needed too).

Yep. Unless of course AMD & Intel went on the Judge Judy show to plead their cases :). Then we would have a verdict rendered in about 12 minutes, right after a commercial break :sol:

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
This may be settled out-of-court, anyways. IIRC, the licensing agreement is up for renewal soon. Intel may be just trying to force some changes into the new license.

IRT x64 - I believe the sharing technologies agreement gives each party essential ownership of each other's x86 enhancements (ie - Intel can use x64, but can not sell or license it to another company; same with AMD and SSE4, etc). If AMD voided this agreement, I believe Intel could still maintain the right to use x64, but any enhancements to it would have to be seperate from any enhancements AMD chooses to add.

The license referred to in the OP is the license for AMD to make x86 chips - not the shared technologies agreement.