Memory upgrade problem for ASUS X-51H Notebook

nadim_eee05

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Hi all,

I have tried to upgrade my 'ASUS X51H' notebook RAM. It's maximum capacity is shown 4 GB by ''CPUID CPU-Z'' and has 2 slots for RAM. But facing the following problem.

My old RAM : 1 GB, DDR2 - 667 BUS(PC2-5300) . Manufacturer: Hynix
My new RAM : 2 GB, DDR2 - 667 BUS(PC2-5300) . Manufacturer: Transcend

My problem is- the both ram works well when connected separately but when i am connecting them together, it doesn't work. I have tried shuffling the RAMs in 2 slots several times, but no way. My system start the booting but the windows XP log in window doesn't appear instead some system error is shown in blue screen.

My question is- where is the problem ? Is it because of 2 different manufacturer ? 2 different memory size ? Should I change something in BIOS? ....

It will be a great help if anybody response. Thanx in advance....

nadim_eee05

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
thanx a lot for your reply. But i should mention some points here:

1) My exact model no. is ''ASUS X51HD'' with the configuration ''Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2450 : 2.00 GHz 533MHz, 2MB L2 Cache'' and main board of "Intel i943/940GML"
2) the website you have mentioned is common for some models starting with X51
3) I have checked the maximum possible memory using ''sysinfo'' which says 4 GB.

Now, is there any way, I can try to make the full use of the both RAM ?

nadim_eee05

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Thaks for ur reply :)

Actually the error says ''system error....''

What kinda error is it, I dont know. Can linux platform fix this up ?

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This seems to be more of a hardware or hardware/software incompatiblity issue. Have you tried to boot the unit with just the 2gig stick in?

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

After re-reading the post I believe that you are correct. There may be an incompatibility issue with the memory. I would suggest to get another stick of the 2 gig ram from the same manufacturer as the current 2 gig stick.......

nadim_eee05

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
yaa.. actually the both stick works, but separately. I know, one way will be to add another 2 GB of Transcend. But I am feeling kinda odd... since the 1 GB stick is OK but i can't use it! That's why, I am asking is there any way to solve this problem.

BTW, thanx all for giving reply and if anybody has gone through this sort of trouble, I will like to hear the way that is solved.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Unfortunately I believe that you will not be able to mix the sticks and have it work. It is like 2 kids that don't play well together..... Sometimes nothing that you do will change the outcome. You could put the leftover stick up on EBay... good luck...