4x agp card suggestion for an aging p4

Hi all,

I am currently working with a 4 year old P4 2.8ghz rig. Was not really wanting to upgrade a system this crappy however in the past month the fan on the Geforce4 ti 4200 card started making a noise similar to a dying Giraffe. The rig only has a weak 185W psu which limits upgrades. Also the board only has a 4x agp slot.

Any suggestions on a suitable replacement card? all I want to do is beable to play WoW. Would have liked to play Warhammer online, but I figure that is out of my reach without replacing the PSU.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Adam
8 answers Last reply
More about card suggestion aging
  1. any AGP card you buy would be a large chunk of a new pc that could play WoW.

I can't recommend that you replace it. sorry.
  2. I have an old 24/7 computer with a 2.2 gig athlon that lost it's Radeon 9800 due to a fan failure. I bought a low end geforce 7600 card with passive cooling that I would think is alot faster than your 4200. Not sure about the power draw of this card, and it was overpriced being it's a dead interface and all, but it works great for what I need. And there is always Craig's List.
    Maybe look for something similar or a bit slower to cut more power. Shouldn't be too hard to find something faster than the 4200 and if you can up size the psu, you can get a pretty decent card.
    Or try lubing or replacing the fan on your old card.
  3. id unno about the pasively cooled 7600, but I still have several old 7600GT's ( 512MB version ) running that need a minimum of 450 watt PS....and trust me, they mean it, I've tried running them all ( different brands ) on less and failed. I'm usually a big fan of maintaining old equipment, but the 185w PS really makes things difficult. If you feel like gambling, try E-Bay for a PS and 7600. They were the best AGP cards I had and ran quite fine in a 4x slot. Just do the math though, you can just as easily find a good deal on a slightly better system with everything you need.
  4. I recommend this card right here, http://cgi.ebay.com/vga-HIT-X1650-PRO-ICE-Q-256M-128bit-ddr2-agp-8x_W0QQitemZ280317873742QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the guy keeps selling these over and over again and they seem to go for about $33-37, thats what ID go with.

Id also keep my eye on bensbargains.net or newegg for a psu.
  5. +1 customisbetter

Do not waste your $ on a new AGP GPU.
    Save it for a complete system upgrade.
    For now, either replace the Fan, change the Cooler or just zip tie a spare 80mm case fan to the card.
  6. Better replace your PC. All that you spend on AGP would be total waste.
  7. norrisb said:
    I recommend this card right here, http://cgi.ebay.com/vga-HIT-X1650-PRO-ICE-Q-256M-128bit-ddr2-agp-8x_W0QQitemZ280317873742QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the guy keeps selling these over and over again and they seem to go for about $33-37, thats what ID go with.

Id also keep my eye on bensbargains.net or newegg for a psu.

Decent enough for the price but that's coming from Thailand, I'd be a little leary of that myself...
  8. thanks for the help all. I am hoping for a full comp redo later this year/early next year so I think I will take your advice and try to McGuiver this cards fan.

I'll let you know if I fix it or break it in half... either way the buzzing sound will go away lol.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Graphics Product