Should i overclock i7-930?

henrythechief

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hello, kinda new to this forum...
Well lets just get straight to the point.
Should i overclock my cpu?
I currently have an i7-930 cpu, psu is 750v and the current temperature of my cpu is 30c - 35c.

thanks for helping :)

Solution
last at least 5 years even after oc.

try 25 years.

OP, OCing is a great way to get more performance. but its not without its risks, you need to know what you are doing. the increased heat does lower a chips life span, but it will still survive long beyond obsolescence.

Personally, i couldn't not overclock. its where most of my fun comes from :lol:

its at least worth reading into some guides on how to do it, once you have an idea it shouldn't be too hard to give it a go. and if you have a good cooler and get a decent clock, the difference will be very noticeable.

henrythechief

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

All i am worried about is my cpu's life span, at the moment i have a noctua u9b heatsink as my cooler?
Would that do the trick?

You don't need to OC, of course depending on the apps you running. Also if your your graphics card is bottlenecked (not likely) then you'd oc, otherwise not so much.

OCing usually isn't needed. Your PC should be fine as it is, plus it will actually degrade your CPU, still it should last at least 5 years even after oc. Though the main thing is, if you OC your 930 to say 3.8-4.0 the power consumption is WAY more than stock.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
last at least 5 years even after oc.

try 25 years.

OP, OCing is a great way to get more performance. but its not without its risks, you need to know what you are doing. the increased heat does lower a chips life span, but it will still survive long beyond obsolescence.

Personally, i couldn't not overclock. its where most of my fun comes from :lol:

its at least worth reading into some guides on how to do it, once you have an idea it shouldn't be too hard to give it a go. and if you have a good cooler and get a decent clock, the difference will be very noticeable.

Solution

henrythechief

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

well atm i use the noctua u9b heatsink, and i dont know how to overclock, BUT... my motherboard (giga x58a-ud5) has a software where it can automatically OC my cpu to 3.36GHz

what do you recon my friend?

btw, thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
well that chip can hit 4.0ghz fairly easily with a good cooler (and the u9b is a very good cooler)

you need to read guides to learn how to do it though, unfortunately all chips are different so we can't just tell you settings to use. it shouldn't take you to long to get the hang of it though, and as long as you don't do something exceptionally stupid you are unlikely to damage anything.

henrythechief

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

lol i see, thats great that my cpu can hit that far! But should i use easy tuner 6 (program/software from my motherboard for OCing) for starters to OC it?

henrythechief

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

I see, well that still sounds pretty good :)

thanks alot for your help my friend :)

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Use smaller FFT's.

You could expect a 40 year lifespan for the processor when not overclocked and kept within the Intel ATX guidelines. That will decrease by some exponent of the difference in clockspeed and/or voltage/current and/or temperature.

Even with an overclock you can expect 25 years for the CPU. - I second this.