Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should i overclock i7-930?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2010 11:39:15 AM

Hello, kinda new to this forum...
Well lets just get straight to the point.
Should i overclock my cpu?
I currently have an i7-930 cpu, psu is 750v and the current temperature of my cpu is 30c - 35c.

thanks for helping :) 

More about : overclock 930

a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 12:13:19 PM

If you feel that your PC is slow, then yes. If your PC is performing fine, then no.

If you are going to overclock then I would recommend a good aftermarket CPU cooler.
m
l
August 15, 2010 12:37:29 PM

cromedome said:
If you feel that your PC is slow, then yes. If your PC is performing fine, then no.

If you are going to overclock then I would recommend a good aftermarket CPU cooler.

All i am worried about is my cpu's life span, at the moment i have a noctua u9b heatsink as my cooler?
Would that do the trick?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 3:38:37 PM

What temps are you getting at 100% load, under Prime 95 or such?
m
l
August 16, 2010 5:55:22 AM

cromedome said:
What temps are you getting at 100% load, under Prime 95 or such?

i ran 100% (In-place large FFTs) and i got a maximum of 45C for my cpu
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 6:33:33 AM

You don't need to OC, of course depending on the apps you running. Also if your your graphics card is bottlenecked (not likely) then you'd oc, otherwise not so much.

OCing usually isn't needed. Your PC should be fine as it is, plus it will actually degrade your CPU, still it should last at least 5 years even after oc. Though the main thing is, if you OC your 930 to say 3.8-4.0 the power consumption is WAY more than stock.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 6:47:36 AM

Quote:
last at least 5 years even after oc.

try 25 years.

OP, OCing is a great way to get more performance. but its not without its risks, you need to know what you are doing. the increased heat does lower a chips life span, but it will still survive long beyond obsolescence.

Personally, i couldn't not overclock. its where most of my fun comes from :lol: 

its at least worth reading into some guides on how to do it, once you have an idea it shouldn't be too hard to give it a go. and if you have a good cooler and get a decent clock, the difference will be very noticeable.
August 16, 2010 7:13:45 AM

welshmousepk said:
Quote:
last at least 5 years even after oc.

try 25 years.

OP, OCing is a great way to get more performance. but its not without its risks, you need to know what you are doing. the increased heat does lower a chips life span, but it will still survive long beyond obsolescence.

Personally, i couldn't not overclock. its where most of my fun comes from :lol: 

its at least worth reading into some guides on how to do it, once you have an idea it shouldn't be too hard to give it a go. and if you have a good cooler and get a decent clock, the difference will be very noticeable.

well atm i use the noctua u9b heatsink, and i dont know how to overclock, BUT... my motherboard (giga x58a-ud5) has a software where it can automatically OC my cpu to 3.36GHz

what do you recon my friend?

btw, thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 7:17:49 AM

well that chip can hit 4.0ghz fairly easily with a good cooler (and the u9b is a very good cooler)

you need to read guides to learn how to do it though, unfortunately all chips are different so we can't just tell you settings to use. it shouldn't take you to long to get the hang of it though, and as long as you don't do something exceptionally stupid you are unlikely to damage anything.
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:36:24 AM

welshmousepk said:
well that chip can hit 4.0ghz fairly easily with a good cooler (and the u9b is a very good cooler)

you need to read guides to learn how to do it though, unfortunately all chips are different so we can't just tell you settings to use. it shouldn't take you to long to get the hang of it though, and as long as you don't do something exceptionally stupid you are unlikely to damage anything.

lol i see, thats great that my cpu can hit that far! But should i use easy tuner 6 (program/software from my motherboard for OCing) for starters to OC it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 7:50:22 AM

you can use it to fins the initial stable settings, but you will eventually need to go into the BIOS.
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:54:48 AM

welshmousepk said:
you can use it to fins the initial stable settings, but you will eventually need to go into the BIOS.

I see, well that still sounds pretty good :) 

thanks alot for your help my friend :) 
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:55:38 AM

Best answer selected by HenryTheChief.
m
l
August 16, 2010 8:43:31 AM

Use smaller FFT's.

You could expect a 40 year lifespan for the processor when not overclocked and kept within the Intel ATX guidelines. That will decrease by some exponent of the difference in clockspeed and/or voltage/current and/or temperature.

Even with an overclock you can expect 25 years for the CPU. - I second this.
m
l
!