Frustrating ASUS Boot problems!Please Help!Anyone!

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Guys,I am going totally crazy with a persistent PC problem which occurs randomly and erratically,as stated below:

After I turn on my PC after a gap of ,say 5 hours,here is what happens in exact sequence:

1)I switch on the main power
2)I switch on my UPS
3)I switch on my Power Button
4)Power LED(Blue) turns on.
5)HDD LED turns on for .3 secs and then goes off
6)Monitor turns from Active Power Mode to Standby Mode.
7)All the Cabinet fans and SMPS,CPU and GPU fans are running fine.
8)BIOS does not go to post.System freezed.
8)Now I press the power button for 3-4 seconds.
9)Machine boots fine.XP/Vista runs fine.

I have checked all power connectors.I have changed my CMOS battery.Reset my BIOS.Even updated my BIOS with the latest ROM file.Problem persists.

Here are my BIOS details:
Model: P5Q-E
Version:2101
Chipset:Eaglelake
BIOS type:AMI
BIOS Size:2048K

Could it be a HDD problem?Could it be a problem with BIOS itself?Could it be a heat issue?

Please suggest as I've lost all sleep and peace of mind.

My SMPS is brand new.

My config:
C2D E7300 @2.66GHz| ASUS P5Q-E | Palit Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5 | Corsair 800Mhz 2X2GB 5-5-5-18 | Seagate 500GB 7200.11 |Corsair TX 650W PSU

royalcrown

Distinguished
I know my MOBO hates booting after unplugging the cord from the wall (thereby removing standby). Try just powering it off at the case switch, and leave your ups and such on to see if it is just a cranky MOBO. BTW, I have no idea why mine hates being unplugged either, just does. Sometimes I gotta fiddle with reboots if I unplug it.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I think this is fairly normal for motherboards, my last 2 have done it (a DFI and an ASUS). I actually have indicator lights on the board to show that there is still power in it even when it is completely powered down, takes a few seconds for them to fade if I switch off my surge protector.
I don't use a UPS, so I don't know a whole lot about them, but if the issue is really bugging you, do you really need to shut it off? I'm not sure if it is really using a significant amount of power when it is in 'standby', or whatever you would call it.

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

I have tried that.With UPS on and Case Switch off,there is no power in the Mobo.

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Mine too has indicator lights which takes a few seconds to fade off AFTER my UPS has been shut down.

Secondly,it is not a question of saving power.It is question of normal booting,which my Mobo is NOT able to do & that makes me frustrated.Why do I have to keep on pressing the power button most of the time after the system has freezed,to make it boot again??? :fou: :eek:

royalcrown

Distinguished
Awesome PS :) leave it turned on at the back switch and your ups on for a day and just use the power off on your case, see if that helps. If it boots okay then it is an issue with the motherboard needing that standby power from the ps for something. good luck :)

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Thanks.
I'm not exactly clear what you mean.Do you mean to say that for one full day I leave my UPS & my PSU Back switch ON but keep my PC off???

Please corroborate.

royalcrown

Distinguished
yep, then try booting and see if boots normal, could just be that you are cutting off that standby power that your mobo needs when you turn off your power supply and ups. Like I said, my board did not like it when I unplugged my ps cord from the wall either.

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Suppose if I find that the standby power issue is the problem,what could be done to set it right?

Are you overclocking anything? Such delays can come from the bios resetting itself and trying to fine something that works.
When you press and hold the power button for 4 seconds, it is a forced power down.

I would suggest the following:
1) Leave your ups powered on. It will consume minimal power and keep your system somewhat protected.
2) Do not turn off the psu power switch normally, or even unplug it. Do so, only if you have to work inside the case to change some hardware or such.
Standby power usage is minimal.
3) Try using sleep to ram(S3) instead of a full shutdown. You will restart much faster than a reboot.

What OS are you using? Newer versions change the way power is managed, and there are many fixes in this area. You might want to experiment with the windows-7 release candidate.

royalcrown

Distinguished

then you'd need to leave your ups and switch on, normally there is no need to turn them off.

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

I took your advice and did not encounter any problem yet today while booting.In both cases I left the UPS on for at least 15 minutes before turning on my PC.But I'm concerned about how much power the UPS might consume extra if it goes on like this.
Please advise.

You could buy a simple plug in meter to monitor your electricity usage. Here is a link to an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&Tpk=killowatt%20meter

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Guys the problem,I think ,has been solved!For the past few days,it seems that one corner of my Mobo had been grounded to the metal chassis,due to the nut coming loose..This led to voltage fluctuations and subsequent booting problems.Now the machine boots fine with a single beep everytime.

My question is:Is there a possibility that my Mobo,specially the condensers & capacitors situated near the grounded portion,has already been damaged to some extent?Is there any way to know if my Mobo is perfectly all right?

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Guys,problem still not solved.Even after all this,I again get the same problem:viz BIOS freezes befpre even going to POST...and MOST IMPORTANTLY ,there is NO BEEP when it occurs.After I press the Power Button for some seconds,BIOS boots up normally with single beep.

I'm having nightmares.Please help!