Failure to load desktop after GPU install

Frugal Gourmet

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Bios load screen is okay. When it gets to the logo for my Asus motherboard, the colors look funky, but I can see the logo alright. Then as it approaches the screen that normally says "welcome" before the login, it all turns off and my monitor's software takes over and says "Video Mode Not Suported"

This happened promptly after I uninstalled all ATI Drivers, rebooting, running Driver Cleaner, and rebooting.

I have no way of getting into my desktop, from safemode, VGA mode, or normal mode, and then installing the drivers.

Is there anything else I can do? Something utilizing the Windows Recovery Console?

Frugal Gourmet

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
greeeeeeeeeat.

I can get into the desktop for a few seconds under VGA mode. I was hoping that by reinstalling drivers i might be able to avoid that. Is there no way to install drivers blind?

I gotta go with evongugg on this one, running those driver cleaner, disk cleaner, registry cleaner programs can completely hose your OS if you don' know EXACTLY what it is they are deleting. Never, ever run one of these programs in AUTO mode, always confirm each file they find before you let the program delete or change anything. They will "clean" critical files right off your drive as well!!!
Best thing, is just use the uninstall feature under add/remove programs.

wwebster100

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I had a similar problem after I installed a 4850 card. Things went ahead beautifully until I downloaded the "updated" Catalyst Control Centre from AMD/ATI. I managed to get things back on track by revisiting the bios and adjusting my VGA settings and installed an old X300 to get back into Windows. Then I reloaded the 4800 drivers from the disk which came with the card. Shutdown and swapped the cards over. Readjusted the bios (VGA - PEG setting) and presto! Haven't had a problem since.
Apparently AMD have been dragging their feet with updated drivers for their 4800 series. Consequently, I'm happy with the supplied CCC and drivers and dont bother with the latest drivers (haven't had a need to).
So, if you have an old graphic card laying about, this may solve your problem.

TRENDING THREADS