Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Install Aftermarket Heatsink?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2010 2:27:30 PM

Hi all, this is my first time building a computer and I was wondering if you all think I should install an aftermarket heatsink or stay with the stock heatsink. I am a bit concerned with the thermal paste application and I don't want to screw anything up. The stock heatsink comes with the thermal paste already applied.

I might try overclocking if I feel it is 99 percent safe later on down the road but I figured I could always buy and install a heatsink then and the only thing it would cost me is some work with pulling out the motherboard and re-assembling.

What do you think? If you think I should get an aftermarket, please recommend some budget ones ~$50 or less that are good quality.

Also please recommend some thermal paste as I will need this in any case as the stock cooler may need re-seating.

Here is the build:

Asus VH242H 23.6" 1080p LCD
Antec 300 Case
Western Digital Black Caviar 500 Gb
Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 OEM
Athlon II X4 635 2.9 GHz Processor
Asus Radeon HD EAS5770 1 Gb Video Card
2 x 2 Gb G.Skill DDR3-1333 RAM
2 x Cooler Master 120 mm LED fan
BFG GS-550 Power Supply
Asus M4A77TD Motherboard
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM
August 16, 2010 7:16:07 AM

i have also got that cpu and mine is running at 3.5ghz on the stock cooler and its still really cool
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 12:59:35 PM

^ Really? What are your load temps? Those AMD HSFs must be good.

Hello, If you want to have fun with OCing by not having to worry about temps much then get an aftermarket cooler. Also it will allow you to go a lot higher which is always fun.

If you want to maybe buy one later on then I have good news for you. I have that case for my i3 and I thought I was going to have to chop a hole to allow me to change coolers. In official pictures the case has no hole yet it actually does, not sure if this is for all of them but mine does.

If you want to get a cooler grab a Cooler master Hyper 212+ they're great value.

Hope that helps. :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 9:43:27 PM

dj1997 said:
i have also got that cpu and mine is running at 3.5ghz on the stock cooler and its still really cool

Cool man! What kind of motherboard were you using? Also, did you apply your own thermal paste (what kind) ?

EDIT: Were you at stock voltages? What RAM were you using?

Wolygon said:

If you want to maybe buy one later on then I have good news for you. I have that case for my i3 and I thought I was going to have to chop a hole to allow me to change coolers. In official pictures the case has no hole yet it actually does, not sure if this is for all of them but mine does.

If you want to get a cooler grab a Cooler master Hyper 212+ they're great value.

Hope that helps. :) 

Dude I know!! I picked up my case yesterday and inspected it and WOW! I wasn't expecting that hole behind the motherboard plate either.

As for the coolers, I was looking at the Hyper 212+ and the Scythe Mugen Rev. B. What cooler do you have? What thermal paste?
m
l
August 16, 2010 9:55:17 PM

mishimaBeef said:
Cool man! What kind of motherboard were you using? Also, did you apply your own thermal paste (what kind) ?

EDIT: Were you at stock voltages? What RAM were you using?

Dude I know!! I picked up my case yesterday and inspected it and WOW! I wasn't expecting that hole behind the motherboard plate either.

As for the coolers, I was looking at the Hyper 212+ and the Scythe Mugen Rev. B. What cooler do you have? What thermal paste?

im using ddr2 kingston hyperx 1066mhz ram and a asrock alive xfire mobo with 0.25v cpu increase and some Arctic Silver AS5 if youre gonna oc your always go up in increments cause i fried my first amd 635 by trying 4ghz straight away
m
l
August 16, 2010 9:56:52 PM

mishimaBeef said:
Hi all, this is my first time building a computer and I was wondering if you all think I should install an aftermarket heatsink or stay with the stock heatsink. I am a bit concerned with the thermal paste application and I don't want to screw anything up. The stock heatsink comes with the thermal paste already applied.

I might try overclocking if I feel it is 99 percent safe later on down the road but I figured I could always buy and install a heatsink then and the only thing it would cost me is some work with pulling out the motherboard and re-assembling.

What do you think? If you think I should get an aftermarket, please recommend some budget ones ~$50 or less that are good quality.

Also please recommend some thermal paste as I will need this in any case as the stock cooler may need re-seating.

Here is the build:

Asus VH242H 23.6" 1080p LCD
Antec 300 Case
Western Digital Black Caviar 500 Gb
Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 OEM
Athlon II X4 635 2.9 GHz Processor
Asus Radeon HD EAS5770 1 Gb Video Card
2 x 2 Gb G.Skill DDR3-1333 RAM
2 x Cooler Master 120 mm LED fan
BFG GS-550 Power Supply
Asus M4A77TD Motherboard
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM

this cooler is best value
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amx-coolers/a...
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 17, 2010 12:52:36 AM

The Hyper 212+ and the Scythe Mugen Rev. B. are top-notch coolers the Scythe being the better of the two.
Both coolers will handle mid to high oc's just fine.
If you don't plan on oc'ing the CM Hyper TX3 would be fine'
Btw all the newly produced Antec 300's come with the mobo cut-out.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2010 12:54:52 AM

^ First of all don't double post. Use edit you towel. Also that cooler does not offer much cooling it is better value than the Hyper 212+ however does not really include enough cooling.

I wanted to get a Hyper 212+ however the shops I was looking at could get one in for months. So I ended up getting a Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet. I was using the Zalman stock paste until I got the IC idamond which is better than AS5. Yeah its pretty weird that they don't show the hole in pictures.

Hope that helps.
m
l
!