RAM timings HELP!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

chronicbucks

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
hey guys, so i just completed my first build, have been real happy with it, except for my memory

the main parts of build
i7 920 d0 stepping
Gigabyte UD4P
6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3
EVGA GTX 275

so my goal was to overclock at about 3.8ghz, i had been told this was the best speed to keep the CPU cool enough, and also game to the full potential. This computer is a full on gaming rig, so that was the goal.

I got this overclock very easily, and very stable, however, my memory timings took a hit

currently, on CPU Z i am getting 8-8-8-20 at 1066mhz

my RAM is rated at 7-7-7-24 1600.

In my BIOS i have my memory ratio set to 6x and i haven't tweaked with the voltages at all, still set to 1.5. When i do try to raise to x8 the system will not boot.

I am wondering a few things:

1) Would i even really notice a difference in 8-8-8-20 @ 1066 and 7-7-7-24 @1600, keep in mind all i use this PC for is gaming
2) If i did want to raise and top out my ram, how would i go about doing this??
3) i know ZERO about overclocking memory, is that possible with this setup??

thank you in advance! any help would be great, once again i use this machine exclusively for gaming and just want the best setup i can possibly have! I am willing to mess and tweak around with anything! Also if you want to know any more info about my BIOS settings or anything else in my build just let me know!

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
^1+
i read that tom's article, very insightful. recomend you take a look at them both.

the differance is really minimal, with maybe at most 5fps differance in games