Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my first Rig (help the n00b?)

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2009 4:27:54 AM

hey guys, late november 2007 i, with the help of a friend, built my first rig, It runs half life 2, oblivion, crysis, and far cry 2 all on pretty high settings, well far cry 2 bogs occasionaly lol but. here are the specs.

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

Graphics card: PNY XLR8 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Power Supply: ePOWER EP-520XP-C1B 520W ATX12V Power Supply

Ram: pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Now, as you can tell its a bit outdated.. haha how did that happen so fast.. anyways, I have been wanting to upgrade, I was planning on maybe getting an Nvidia 9 series G-card or going SLI, but this time i dont have the help of that friend, so i wanted some other opinions as to what you guys think needs upgrading most, and i have some other questions

Can someone inform me more about HDD's mine which is 7200 RPM, i was wondering per say how much RPM's effect gaming performance etc

Could i run Vista (well)?

To add Ram do they need to be the exact same models and manufacture?

SLI-ing 2 of my cards VS. New 9 series (or other) card ??

Answering any of my questions would be a huge help, thanks alot guys

More about : upgrading rig n00b

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2009 5:45:01 AM

You'll need to replace that PSU before you try to SLI, and that model is not very good. You can consult us about that purchase.

You should just replace the video card. It's OK to add more RAM if you can match it. Otherwise a 4GB set will be about 40-50 bucks.

If you have a budget I can be more specific.
February 7, 2009 7:36:14 PM

alright ive got about a $350 ish budget, im thinking a new PSU a new G card, not the 9 series but maybe a GTX 285? and a new set of RAM 4gigs
Related resources
February 7, 2009 9:29:15 PM

Personally, I have 2 of those 8800 GTS cards in SLI and I don't have any problems with the games I've played with them (Left 4 Dead, TF2, HL2, Bioshock, Fallout 3).

Keep in mind that, while it is a good idea to have a quality PSU, it's probably not going to increase your PC's performance by installing a new one. I'd replace that one though.

Upgrading RAM is good, it's nice and cheap. Go for 4 GB but keep in mind, unless you're running a 64-bit version of Windows you'll probably only see 3 or 3.5 GB of RAM. Still a worthwhile upgrade though.

Guess it all depends if you want to go a little cheaper and get another 8800 GTS (less than $100 I believe) and use SLI or just get a better, single video card. If I was building a new system I'd opt for the single, more powerful video card but for upgrades it can be a tough call. You really should take advantage of SLI at some point as a good upgrade.
!