DVD to pocket PC playable video ??

August 28, 2004 12:04:38 AM

I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if there
is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it) to a file
which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably freeware, but i am
willing to pay (if shareware).

Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Andy
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:04:39 AM

www.handango.com..... DVDtoPocketPC.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?produ...

(sorry about the horrible long link!)
www.coribright.com

"Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if there
> is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it) to a file
> which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably freeware, but i am
> willing to pay (if shareware).
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:24:10 AM

Thanks Cari, i'll give that a go !

Andrew

> www.handango.com..... DVDtoPocketPC.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?produ...
_2&jid=C1A15E6BB3F2B6AFEBB3D67EAFCF7A5C&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=9437
5§ionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=dvd+to+pocketpc

> (sorry about the horrible long link!)
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if
there
> > is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it) to a
file
> > which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably freeware, but i am
> > willing to pay (if shareware).
> >
> > Could someone please point me in the right direction.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andy

August 29, 2004 9:15:26 PM

Andy100 wrote:

> I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if there
> is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it) to a file
> which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably freeware, but i am
> willing to pay (if shareware).
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

I use Windows Movie Maker to convert from any supported movie format to
PocketPC format (there is an encoding profile included).

August 31, 2004 3:08:31 AM

"Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if there
> is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it) to a file
> which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably freeware, but i am
> willing to pay (if shareware).
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction.

I'd like to jump in on this: I've converted a DVD to wmv format. The file is
about 250 Mb, which should fit on my SD card. Every time I try this, the
connection from PC to PDA seems to get lost and I end up with half a movie
on the card. Anyone else had this problem and was succesful in copying a
file of that size. Smaller files (up to 40 Mb) are fine by the way.

Setup:

Ipaq 2210
Kingston 512 Mb SD card

Program I used: http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html

Thanks,

--
Spete
www.gimmemoney.mine.nu

Occasionally, I'll be consistent
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:08:32 AM

Spete wrote:
> "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if there
>>is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it) to a file
>>which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably freeware, but i am
>>willing to pay (if shareware).
>>
>>Could someone please point me in the right direction.
>

> I'd like to jump in on this: I've converted a DVD to wmv format. The file is
> about 250 Mb, which should fit on my SD card. Every time I try this, the
> connection from PC to PDA seems to get lost and I end up with half a movie
> on the card. Anyone else had this problem and was succesful in copying a
> file of that size. Smaller files (up to 40 Mb) are fine by the way.
>
> Setup:
>
> Ipaq 2210
> Kingston 512 Mb SD card
>
> Program I used: http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
>
> Thanks,

I copy hour long (133mb) television programs to my iPaq h2215 and
SanDisk 512mb CF card all the time. I use MovieMaker to convert the .AVI
to PocketPC size.

--
- Barry
Anonymous

You need to use a card reader (SD / CF multifunction) to transfer
files of this size reliably. They cost @ $10-15 top end and plug into
your PCs USB port.

Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:08:31 +0100, "Spete" <cloggyspete@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'd like to jump in on this: I've converted a DVD to wmv format. The file is
>about 250 Mb, which should fit on my SD card. Every time I try this, the
>connection from PC to PDA seems to get lost and I end up with half a movie
>on the card. Anyone else had this problem and was succesful in copying a
>file of that size. Smaller files (up to 40 Mb) are fine by the way.
>
>Setup:
>
>Ipaq 2210
>Kingston 512 Mb SD card
>
>Program I used: http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
>
>Thanks,
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:45:52 AM

Use a card reader! A great invention and you will wonder how you ever lived
without one (especially if it's USB2.0)
www.coribright.com

"Spete" <cloggyspete@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'd like to jump in on this: I've converted a DVD to wmv format. The file
> is
> about 250 Mb, which should fit on my SD card. Every time I try this, the
> connection from PC to PDA seems to get lost and I end up with half a movie
> on the card. Anyone else had this problem and was succesful in copying a
> file of that size. Smaller files (up to 40 Mb) are fine by the way.
>
> Setup:
>
> Ipaq 2210
> Kingston 512 Mb SD card
>
> Program I used: http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Spete
> www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
> www.spete.homeip.net
>
> Occasionally, I'll be consistent

September 7, 2004 3:54:09 AM

Reply to message from "Barry L. Wallis" <KRQSAOQMNTXB@spammotel.com> (Mon,
30 Aug 2004 02:15:26) about "Re: DVD to pocket PC playable video ??":

BL> Andy100 wrote:

>> I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if
>> there is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it)
>> to a file which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably
>> freeware, but i am willing to pay (if shareware).

>> Could someone please point me in the right direction.

>> Cheers
>> Andy

BL> I use Windows Movie Maker to convert from any supported movie format
BL> to PocketPC format (there is an encoding profile included).

BL> --

I tried Windows Movie Maker too and indeed it works easily :)  However, when
I play the movie on my PPC it shocks as in the video runs smooth but seems
to miss frames; it stands still for a tiny moment and then goes on. This
happens constantly every second or so. I thought my PPC might be too slow
but its exactly the same if my Loox 610 runs at 200 or 400MHz. I use the
standard windows media player in PPC2003 and play from internal ram so no
CF or SD card being too slow.

Does anyone know what I mean and how to fix it?

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.nl>
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:33:13 +0200

September 7, 2004 3:54:10 AM

Marcel wrote:

> Reply to message from "Barry L. Wallis" <KRQSAOQMNTXB@spammotel.com> (Mon,
> 30 Aug 2004 02:15:26) about "Re: DVD to pocket PC playable video ??":
>

> BL> Andy100 wrote:
>
> >> I have an IPAQ2210 with a 256Mb CF Card and i was wanting to know if
> >> there is any software i can download to convert a DVD (or part of it)
> >> to a file which the Pocket PC will be able to play. Preferably
> >> freeware, but i am willing to pay (if shareware).
>
> >> Could someone please point me in the right direction.
>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
>

> BL> I use Windows Movie Maker to convert from any supported movie format
> BL> to PocketPC format (there is an encoding profile included).
>
> BL> --
>
> I tried Windows Movie Maker too and indeed it works easily :)  However, when
> I play the movie on my PPC it shocks as in the video runs smooth but seems
> to miss frames; it stands still for a tiny moment and then goes on. This
> happens constantly every second or so. I thought my PPC might be too slow
> but its exactly the same if my Loox 610 runs at 200 or 400MHz. I use the
> standard windows media player in PPC2003 and play from internal ram so no
> CF or SD card being too slow.
>
> Does anyone know what I mean and how to fix it?

What frame rate do you convert to? There is a setting of 30 fps that
always gives me problems. I use 24 fps, but I've heard that setting up a
custom profile at 15 fps works even better on a PocketPC.

--
- Barry
October 8, 2004 2:25:51 PM

I know i'm chiming in here a little late,ok very late, but you can try using
Windows Media Encoder. It already has a preset profile for PocketPC devices.

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Use a card reader! A great invention and you will wonder how you ever
> lived without one (especially if it's USB2.0)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Spete" <cloggyspete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I'd like to jump in on this: I've converted a DVD to wmv format. The file
>> is
>> about 250 Mb, which should fit on my SD card. Every time I try this, the
>> connection from PC to PDA seems to get lost and I end up with half a
>> movie
>> on the card. Anyone else had this problem and was succesful in copying a
>> file of that size. Smaller files (up to 40 Mb) are fine by the way.
>>
>> Setup:
>>
>> Ipaq 2210
>> Kingston 512 Mb SD card
>>
>> Program I used: http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Spete
>> www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
>> www.spete.homeip.net
>>
>> Occasionally, I'll be consistent

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 3:35:44 AM

I'm trying to convert files I recorded with a Pansonic DVR, copying them
from the DVR to my PC via a DVD-RAM drive. Good news, the player on the PC
handles the file just fine (the extension is .VOR). Bad news, Windows Media
Encoder doesn't recognize the file format. Anybody know where I can find a
codec for this, or some encoder that will work for taking .VOR files and
converting them to .WMV for viewing on a PocketPC? Thanks.

KEn

>>> www.gimmemoney.mine.nu

!