ksn380

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Good day folks,

I want to add more RAM. I currently have 2GB of Corsair DDR3 1333 dual channel on a Asus P5K3 Deluxe WIFI mobo. My question;

Will triple channel RAM work on my mobo? Is it like backward compatible?

I'm running Vista 32bit. I understand that Vista 32bit can't see more than 3GBs of RAM, is this correct?

If it is correct, I was planning on upgrading to Windows 7 anyway, does W7 have the same issue?

KSN

don't get a triple channel kit, they are meant for the LGA1366 systems (aka i7)
dual channel is fine, i would get a 4GB(2x2GB) set

all 32bit OS's have a 4GB memory and io limitation, so everything is counted not just memory, it will usually be around 3.25GB

just get a copy of Win7 64bit (all 32bit OS's have the memory limitation)

zugzug

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Does it still run in dual channel mode if you run 4gb with a 32bit OS? I know it won't see it all, but I'm trying to get a little boost until I can get a 64bit OS.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Yes, if you have a dual channel system and the correct memory it will still run in dual channel mode even those it does not see and use the entire 4GB.

On my system I have 2 sticks of matched 1 GB memory and 2 sticks of matched 500MB memory which gives me 3GB running in dual mode. When I bought my memory, prices were considerably higher than today. Today I probably would just buy 2 sticks of 2GB memory - if I had none to start with. If I already had 2 sticks of 1 GB I would just buy 2 more sticks of 1 GB.