E5200 Wolfsdale Overheating Rapidly--Suggestions?

AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
I'm running an e5200 Wolfsdale at stock speeds. Until a week or so ago it was running fine, but at that point I started to notice problems in Team Fortress 2. On the suggestion of a friend I checked my CPU's temps--imagine my astonishment when I discovered it was 103 Celsius! I'm using the stock cooler, but as I say I'd never had any temp problems before.

Any suggestions? When I installed the cooler several months ago, a small amount of the thermal... stuff that was pre-applied to the cooler came off on the processor. Could this be the problem? If it is, is there anything I can do, short of buying a new processor? Motherboard is Foxconn P45A-S.

Austin

AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008

Where would I set fan temps? Can this be done from Bios?--because it starts heating up as soon as it boots (I'd estimate it hit 84 degrees C in about 60 seconds, while inside Bios).

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Disable fan control in the BIOS, under "Advanced", I believe on most boards. Check your BIOS temps, if they're high, reapply your thermal compound. If not, download and install Speedfan.

Sounds like a thermal paste problem. Get some good thermal paste (like some arctic thermal silver), take off the old stuff, and put the new thermal paste on. Also check your heatsink for dustbunnies ^_^. You may also want to think about just getting a good aftermarket heatsink for overclocking since you should be able to get a good OC out of that CPU ^_^.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Open the side panel, leave it out, then blow a desak fan into the motherboard while you play games. If that helps to lower the temps, then you need better air flow in your case.

Are you overclocking the CPU? If so, set it to stock to see if that solves your heat issue. If it does, then you'll need a better CPU cooler if you're going to ocntinue to overclock. Look in page 59 of your motherboard manual, chapter 2-9, you'll see the BIOS screen for PC Health Status.
Disable the CPU smart fan control. After you reboot, you can use PC Wizard to check your CPU fan speed, should be around 2,000 RPMs or more. With your CPU fan providing maximum airflow, if you're still overheating, then perhaps one of your push pins popped out and the cooler base plate isn't in full contact with the CPU.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
i would say its probly the heat sink is not on correctly, the CPU doesnt produce massive heat at stock speeds so as long as the heat sink is correctly stuck to the cpu and fan going i cant see how it can get that hot.

just check the heat sink :p

reborne_33

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Check those pushpins as others have suggested... Mine weren't on quite right first time of trying... They're awkward buggers... Why Intel went for that design is beyond me... The P4 heatsink mounting proceedure was easier and you knew when it was correctly mounted. Even after that I was getting temps well into the 60s running stock speeds with one core of my E7400 fully loaded... I eventually swapped out the stock cooler for an Akasa AK-955...

http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/spec_page/coolers/spec_ak_955.htm

Which dropped the temps down to the high 30s... Indeed even running Prime95... I can't push the temps past about 45.

One last thing... Whilst you have your case open, check the fan header is correctly fitted... May sound daft, but I went over to a mate of mine who was having overheating problems to find that the fan connecter was offset by one pin.