Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Confusion about fittings!

  • Heatsinks
  • Water Cooling
  • Compression
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2010 9:16:12 PM

Hello there, fitting sizes confuses me alot.. Thread, ID, OD, barbs, compression. :??: 
I'm currently trying to assemble a watercooling system consisting of 2x ATI 5970s and a i7 930, which is gonna be cooled by 2 loops in my Corsair 800D case.

I got everthing ready to be bought.. EXCEPT the fittings and tubing. I'm gonna go along with compression fittings with a 1/4" thread. I don't know what ID or OD would be best tubing and fitting wise. Can some pro please explain how it all works?

More about : confusion fittings

a c 100 K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 2:51:58 PM

Generally you use 1/2" or 3/8" tubing. Since most threads are 1/4" (G1/4), you pretty much just need a bunch of compression fittings that are 1/2" barb, 1/4" thread. In my searching I found that 3/8" fittings were a bit less comon that 1/2", and having bigger tubing is going to be better anyway - less flow restriction/less pressure drop.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 17, 2010 11:03:12 PM

I don't know if this is just numbers, or mathematics, I can't see it on the pictures. What is bigger 1/4" or 1/2"?
Personally I would say the 1/2, but the pictures are deceiving.

If i take Compression fittings with the size of 1/4 Thread and 1/2 tubing ID, what OD would be best?

And is 1/2 ID really the best choice?

Any knowledge, advice or questions are much appreciated.
You can read about my build and idea in first post.
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 4:33:42 AM

OD won't matter much but the thicker the better. It'll be stiffer, but also able to withstand more pressure and wear.

1/2" is twice the size of 1/4"... but if we're talking barbs, a 1/2" barb is 1/2" OD, while 1/2" tubing is 1/2" ID, that way they mate together.