Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing Thermalright MUX 120

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2010 10:52:38 PM

I have an ASUS P7P55D-E PRO LGA 1156 motherboard with a core i7 and I have a Thermalright MUX-120. I attached the backing plate behind the motherboard and screwed in the bracket on the front of the motherboard. I didn't install the heatsink yet because the bracket and backing had about an eighth of an inch movement. It seemed too loose. It wasn’t attached flat onto the motherboard. I made sure a screwed the bracket all the way into the backing plate.

I wonder if the backing plate was intended for a thicker motherboard because of the longer prongs that you put through the holes in the motherboard. The Mux didn’t have any washers or spacers which surprised me. I need to go to the hardware store and get plastic or cardboard washers.

My question is, did I miss something and is it safe to fasten the bracket flat on the motherboard? Will the metal bracket shorten out the circuitry motherboard?

Best solution

a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 11:14:00 PM

I have a MUX-120 mounted on a Gigabyte P55-UD5 and what your're describing was also a concern when i installed mine.
No worries though once i mounted the cooler and and tighten the two tension screws everything was fine and secured.
I didn't add any washers or whatever and that was 7 months ago.
Temps are currently about 30C average over all 4 cores on a slight oc'd i7 860.
Got the A/C running though it's effing hot out.
Without A/C it idles at about 33-35C.
Sweet cooler i luv it the fan is dead quiet so good i bought another one for push/pull.
August 15, 2010 11:30:26 PM

omega0401 said:
I have an ASUS P7P55D-E PRO LGA 1156 motherboard with a core i7 and I have a Thermalright MUX-120. I attached the backing plate behind the motherboard and screwed in the bracket on the front of the motherboard. I didn't install the heatsink yet because the bracket and backing had about an eighth of an inch movement. It seemed too loose. It wasn’t attached flat onto the motherboard. I made sure a screwed the bracket all the way into the backing plate.

I wonder if the backing plate was intended for a thicker motherboard because of the longer prongs that you put through the holes in the motherboard. The Mux didn’t have any washers or spacers which surprised me. I need to go to the hardware store and get plastic or cardboard washers.

My question is, did I miss something and is it safe to fasten the bracket flat on the motherboard? Will the metal bracket shorten out the circuitry motherboard?

Double check and make sure you're using the LGA 156 backing plate (has three screw mounts instead of four) like on my LGA 1366.

There shouldn't be any play on the two 1156 brackets that attach to the CPU side of the mobo.

Here's a link to the installation PDF (in case you don't have the correct one).

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...
m
l
Related resources
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 15, 2010 11:54:09 PM

Trust me there is play until you attach the mounting plate and tighten the screws.
Been there done that and everything will tighten up solid after you do it.
I know it seems weird but that's how it works.
m
l
August 16, 2010 4:37:14 AM

davcon said:
Trust me there is play until you attach the mounting plate and tighten the screws.

Okay, I'll go ahead and mount the heatsink on top of the brackets and add the mounting plate. But for the life of me I can't see how tightening the mounting screws will hold the brackets in place so there is no play. Yeah, it definitely seems weird.
m
l
August 16, 2010 4:49:15 AM

mikey5802 said:
Double check and make sure you're using the LGA 156 backing plate (has three screw mounts instead of four) like on my LGA 1366.

There shouldn't be any play on the two 1156 brackets that attach to the CPU side of the mobo.

Yes that's the same link I found and it is the same LGA 1156 backing plate. I see no problem there.

Davcon says that there is play and everything should tighten up when the heatsink is attached. Tightening the heatsink on a bracket that has play in it seems to me is going to still have play in it. Very weird. But you say there shouldn't.

The four prongs on the backing plate go through the holes in the back of the mobo but extend about 1/8 inch past the mobo. They tips of the prongs are not flush with the mobo. That 1/8 inch is about as much play I see after I attach the brackets.

Are the brackets supposed to lay flat on the mobo after they are screwed in? That to me is what will secure the spring screws to the mounting plate and hold the heatsink in place.
m
l
August 16, 2010 9:34:11 PM

mikey5802 said:

Mikey, I took another look at the specs and found a link to a mobo compatability list. My mobo was not on the list but the P7P55D Pro was but not the D-E Pro. I wonder if there is really a big difference. I wished I had notice that earlier.
m
l
August 20, 2010 3:32:14 PM

davcon said:

Davcon, I did as you suggested and it worked. The mounting screw has a spring in it so when you screw it into the bracket the sprint on the mounting bar pushes the bracket up and secures it nice and tight. It made sense once I used the mounting screw. Now the cpu is nice a cool.

Thanks for the help. I owe you a 18 oz steak!
m
l
August 20, 2010 3:33:47 PM

Best answer selected by omega0401.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 21, 2010 3:01:40 AM

omega0401 said:
Davcon, I did as you suggested and it worked. The mounting screw has a spring in it so when you screw it into the bracket the sprint on the mounting bar pushes the bracket up and secures it nice and tight. It made sense once I used the mounting screw. Now the cpu is nice a cool.

Thanks for the help. I owe you a 18 oz steak!

That sounds good!:)  glad you finally figured it out! quiet too i bet.
I told you so!
m
l
!