• Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2009 10:58:38 AM
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2009 1:00:15 PM

You forgot Bit-Techs
"You've probably heard the news by now: Nvidia announced the GeForce GTS 250 this morning at CeBIT and yes, the rumours are true - it's a rebranded GeForce 9800 GTX+.

But that's not the real story.

Normally, you'd expect us to have a review of the card on launch day, but that is sadly something we haven't been allowed to do. Nvidia had remained uncharacteristically quiet - both on and off the record - about the GeForce GTS 250 for one reason or another and we didn't find out about the card until Tuesday last week.

On Thursday, we had a conference call and were essentially told in no uncertain terms that we wouldn't get a sample before launch. But why?

This is where things get a bit trickier because Nvidia palmed us off to the partners - it said that it wasn't sending out reference cards and they'd instead be coming from partners. What we found strange about this was that, typically, in the run up to a graphics card launch we receive anywhere between five and ten calls from add-in board partners, asking us to look at their new products.

We didn't receive a single call this time around.

Instead, we had to resort to making those calls ourselves and, to our surprise, the general consensus from partners was that they were prohibited from sending samples to bit-tech and Custom PC before launch.

One partner, who wished to remain nameless said "[we are] absolutely strictly forbidden to send samples out until the launch date.... it’s rubbish!" Another said it was instructed by Nvidia to send samples to specific websites which, the partner admitted, it had never even heard of.

We spoke to six partners before the launch and not one said it was allowed to sample us before the launch. Several said they were able to help us out "after CeBIT", but by that time it's old news and, frankly, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I spoke to Nvidia last night and the company actively denied its involvement in the sampling process and, upon further probing, the company's representatives said that sample allocations came down to "relationships with Nvidia and its partners". When I asked if something in bit-tech's relationship with Nvidia had changed since the GeForce GTX 295 and 285 launches, Bryan Del Rizzo, a Senior PR Manager at Nvidia, said that nothing had changed. "We have a great relationship with bit-tech," he added.

We asked the same question when speaking to partners all week and they said exactly the same thing, which means that someone, somewhere, is getting in the way of the sampling process. The question is: why would the partners lie to us? They have no reason to because our relationship has always been tight and they've been up front when they have sample allocation issues.

Nvidia said it is cutting back on samples (as are the partners) and that allocation is tight. However, since we've managed to get a card same day couriered to us today, you have to wonder if the situation would have been different had the card been something to shout about.

While we wait for our card to arrive, we're going to be playing with our GeForce GTS 250 TipeXXX Edition... It's wicked fast. "
Im not sure, but that may be their entire review. Look for a follow up here http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03/03/where-is-bit-te...
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2009 1:02:49 PM

2 Gigs of Vram on a G92 core ? Wonder what noobs are gonna pick that up.
March 3, 2009 1:09:44 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
You forgot Bit-Techs
"You've probably heard the news by now: Nvidia announced the GeForce GTS 250 this morning at CeBIT and yes, the rumours are true - it's a rebranded GeForce 9800 GTX+.

Normally, you'd expect us to have a review of the card on launch day, but that is sadly something we haven't been allowed to do. Nvidia had remained uncharacteristically quiet - both on and off the record - about the GeForce GTS 250 for one reason or another and we didn't find out about the card until Tuesday last week.

On Thursday, we had a conference call and were essentially told in no uncertain terms that we wouldn't get a sample before launch. But why?

This is where things get a bit trickier because Nvidia palmed us off to the partners - it said that it wasn't sending out reference cards and they'd instead be coming from partners. What we found strange about this was that, typically, in the run up to a graphics card launch we receive anywhere between five and ten calls from add-in board partners, asking us to look at their new products.

Instead, we had to resort to making those calls ourselves and, to our surprise, the general consensus from partners was that they were prohibited from sending samples to bit-tech and Custom PC before launch.

One partner, who wished to remain nameless said "[we are] absolutely strictly forbidden to send samples out until the launch date.... it’s rubbish!" Another said it was instructed by Nvidia to send samples to specific websites which, the partner admitted, it had never even heard of.

We spoke to six partners before the launch and not one said it was allowed to sample us before the launch. Several said they were able to help us out "after CeBIT", but by that time it's old news and, frankly, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I spoke to Nvidia last night and the company actively denied its involvement in the sampling process and, upon further probing, the company's representatives said that sample allocations came down to "relationships with Nvidia and its partners". When I asked if something in bit-tech's relationship with Nvidia had changed since the GeForce GTX 295 and 285 launches, Bryan Del Rizzo, a Senior PR Manager at Nvidia, said that nothing had changed. "We have a great relationship with bit-tech," he added.

We asked the same question when speaking to partners all week and they said exactly the same thing, which means that someone, somewhere, is getting in the way of the sampling process. The question is: why would the partners lie to us? They have no reason to because our relationship has always been tight and they've been up front when they have sample allocation issues.

Nvidia said it is cutting back on samples (as are the partners) and that allocation is tight. However, since we've managed to get a card same day couriered to us today, you have to wonder if the situation would have been different had the card been something to shout about.

While we wait for our card to arrive, we're going to be playing with our GeForce GTS 250 TipeXXX Edition... It's wicked fast. "
Im not sure, but that may be their entire review. Look for a follow up here http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03/03/where-is-bit-te...

Didn't see bitechs sorry:D 
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 3, 2009 3:50:18 PM

Its a good card but having same specs like 9800GTX+ (with the exception of Memory) and using G92 technology doesnt make it a fantastic card since its price is pretty much like 9800GTX+.

But its good too see midrange cards in the market with a very good performance,this card is very good for most game for resolution up to 1600x1200.
March 3, 2009 6:19:50 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
You forgot Bit-Techs

This seems to chime with what Charlie was saying at the Inquirer earlier............
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/215/1051215/nv...

Rare that one of his rabidly anti-nVidia rants came to pass!

March 3, 2009 7:04:15 PM

Silly nvidia even if they send a few cards to The Inquire they still would have get bad press.
March 3, 2009 7:26:28 PM

Shouldn't really be news to anybody though heard about this card coming for awhile now.
March 3, 2009 7:32:02 PM

Well before it was rumors, then confirmation and now public confirmation:) 
March 3, 2009 8:35:03 PM

i agree .. the 2gig dont really improve anything unless you use a 2500xxx resolution. And its not that much.

The 512 or 1g is WAY enough on those card.
March 3, 2009 8:43:51 PM

this card came out a few years ago :) 

all based on the G92 GPU

8800GT -> 8800GTS (a bit faster) -> rebranded into the 9800GT -> OC-ed the GTS a bit into the 9800GTX -> made it slightly faster into the 9800GTX+ -> die shrink into 55nm (finally, but still GDDR3) and made it slightly faster = GTS 250 = FAILED

when is nvidia going to stop treating it's customers like idiots? i feel sad for the people that pick this POS up. 2gb of ram aint gonna do n.e good while being pushed by a G92GPU.
March 3, 2009 8:47:25 PM

also considering the fact that the 4870 will be 149$ very soon, beating this card on every bench.

who would seriously buy this card when you have the 4870 at the same price?
March 3, 2009 9:05:18 PM

Maziar said:
Its a good card but having same specs like 9800GTX+ (with the exception of Memory) and using G92 technology doesnt make it a fantastic card since its price is pretty much like 9800GTX+.

But its good too see midrange cards in the market with a very good performance,this card is very good for most game for resolution up to 1600x1200.

...and so is the 9800GTX+. Which is why this "new" card is worthless.

This GTS 250 serves NO legit purpose for the consumers, NONE! Its 100% pure, grade-A marketing.
March 3, 2009 9:15:17 PM

yes, pure marketing, but maybe youll find GTX+ for under 139.99$ if the GTX250 is 149.99$.
March 3, 2009 9:34:40 PM

I wouldn't have disagreed with this if it would have atleast been another die shrink, the implimintation of DX 10.1, or GDDR4 or something to make it a new card.
March 3, 2009 9:35:52 PM

L1qu1d said:
I wouldn't have disagreed with this if it would have atleast been another die shrink, the implimintation of DX 10.1, or GDDR4 or something to make it a new card.

Hey, they added 2GB of memory. Its completely worthless for this level of card but at least its something. :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2009 10:00:56 PM

gawddamn Nvidia...they better do a $50 price cut on the G92 series like ATI did with the 4x00 or I'll swear off Nvidia GPUs for the next 5 years!!!

Who's with me!?!?!? :D 
March 3, 2009 10:01:29 PM

spathotan said:
Hey, they added 2GB of memory. Its completely worthless for this level of card but at least its something. :pt1cable: 

lol yeah I can find something to fill the crack in my rear end:D 

See I wouldn't sway it off, seeing as I sway towards the single GPU king. If I see ATi (AMD) bring out a card that beats Nvidia's next gen for single GPu, you can bet your ass I'm jumping to ATI:D . Though I wouldn't care if Intel or Thermaltake made the cards, I just want top Single GPU:) 
March 3, 2009 10:23:42 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
gawddamn Nvidia...they better do a $50 price cut on the G92 series like ATI did with the 4x00 or I'll swear off Nvidia GPUs for the next 5 years!!!

Who's with me!?!?!? :D 

You know what, if they start pulling more marketing tricks like this then I think I will as well, I'll have a MoBo that can support Crossfire and SLi so it won't matter me too much swapping. It seems as if they just want all the other branded cards into the GTX/GTS name instead of 9800 "blah"

260 and now 250.. who are they trying to kid.
March 3, 2009 10:35:03 PM

what does the 260 have to do with this? lol
March 3, 2009 10:48:50 PM

Could have sworn that the GTX 260 was basically just a rebranding of an older model, however all sources of this information seem to be hiding. I fear I may have read wrong...
March 3, 2009 10:52:06 PM

Well there is 260 GTX and 260 GTX SP 216, but I don't think that was a pointless rebrand because it brought the 260 GTX on par to the 4870 1 gig.

Only 1 out of place really is the 285 GTX, because the 280 GTX doesn't have any competition at single GPU anyways, but 10-15%....yummy:D  I couldn't resist:D 
March 3, 2009 11:20:10 PM

this 250 could be the most meaningless release they could have spawned. it isn't hard to imagine some pimple faced sales rep at a retailer steering some unknowing buyer towards it. "its like the 260 only cheaper with more memory"
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 12:18:25 AM

They need to lower the prices of the "new" gtx250 to under 130$ to remain competitive.
I think that they should of at least bumped up the clocks of the card: core to 760mhz shader 1900mhz and 1150mhz on memory. oh ya dx10.1 support.
Proud only one pcie needed and smaller board(slightly less power hungry).
=P
March 4, 2009 12:33:53 AM

Considering the 4870 is knocking on the door of $150, this card has no place. None. Only a complete moron would buy this card if they have tech knowledge.

I mean ive already said it, but this card is completely meaningless in every way. I cannot even begin to believe that vendors are actually going to waste the money on stickers and boxes for these cards. This is probably the worse investment of funds since AIG.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 12:52:54 AM

Well as I've said if they can reduce prices below 130$ it would sell because it performs within 4850 and they sell around 130$.
March 4, 2009 1:16:49 AM

The single 6-pin connector is a nice benefit to those with smaller power supplies, but this makes me wonder about something. Fudzilla had this to say about power usage.

Quote:
The maximum TDP is rated at 150W, and as the card has 75W from the PCIe slot, and gets 75W from a six pin PCie connector, it should have enough power.

If this board is rated at 150w and there is a maximum of 150w available to power it, will highly overclocking it be impossible because it will be unable to draw enough power from what is supplied?
March 4, 2009 1:50:42 PM

interesting question:) 
March 4, 2009 2:30:29 PM

MY sli is 2 GTX+ with 1 PCI6pin.... basically the same thing as the "new" GTX250. Its just NOT a new card ... no shrink, nothing ... its just a NEW NAME. and going for the 1g or 2g of this card is USELESS. if you want a better card, look for a BETTER CARD.

GTX260-GTX280(285) or ATI 4870.

IM enjoyed with my SLI GTX+ but im about to swap for 2 GTX285.

Nvidia really need to redoo the PRICE list of those card. the GTX260 is 75-100$ more vs a 4870 for near the same performance.

ATI still lead in the BANG/BUCK
March 4, 2009 6:11:01 PM

boulard83 said:
...Nvidia really need to redoo the PRICE list of those card. the GTX260 is 75-100$ more vs a 4870 for near the same performance...

The 1GB 4870s are at the same price point as the GTX 260s right now, at standard clocks.

See 1GB 4870s and GTX 260 Core 216s.
March 4, 2009 6:35:09 PM

sry ;)  didnt noticed ! im currently looking for the GTX285 ... im away from the GTX260 price !
March 4, 2009 7:31:12 PM

Rain1406 said:
You know what, if they start pulling more marketing tricks like this then I think I will as well, I'll have a MoBo that can support Crossfire and SLi so it won't matter me too much swapping. It seems as if they just want all the other branded cards into the GTX/GTS name instead of 9800 "blah"

260 and now 250.. who are they trying to kid.

I was an avid Nvidia buyer until i realized they didnt care about customer's i got tired of paying 300$ for cards that were mid range. Thanks to ATI i can get the same midrang cards for around 150$.My 4870 is the first ATI card ive ever bought too and i love it.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 8:20:36 PM

aznguy0028 said:
also considering the fact that the 4870 will be 149$ very soon, beating this card on every bench.
who would seriously buy this card when you have the 4870 at the same price?

Because some of us suckers bought the SLi motherboard that can't crossfire. =(
March 4, 2009 9:05:12 PM

xx12amanxx said:
I was an avid Nvidia buyer until i realized they didnt care about customer's i got tired of paying 300$ for cards that were mid range. Thanks to ATI i can get the same midrang cards for around 150$.My 4870 is the first ATI card ive ever bought too and i love it.

I used to be a die hard ATI fan until I had 3 successive graphics card failures forcing me to buy new ones, Friend convinced me (with little persuasion) to go for an nVidia one however this latest show makes me think some more...

Bluescreendeath said:
Because some of us suckers bought the SLi motherboard that can't crossfire. =(

Another reason why I'm going x58.
March 4, 2009 9:10:51 PM

lets all go onboard;)
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 9:43:36 PM

Just FYI, 2GB has a purpose... but only for those using them for GPGPU work or huge data sets, for gaming, pfft, couldn't really do much with it, it's too core limited nowadays.

Oh well, just makes me laugh with the [H] and Bit-Tech experiences, not the time to make enemies IMO.

Still just waiting on a nice laptop with the M-HD4870 + Win7, that's all I'm looking for, rebranded products from either company are just "ho-hum... whatever..." items nowadays.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 9:56:06 PM

Nvidia make enemies with everything they do. They don't have any friends in the IT world and they really need to get new management and marketers.

Maybe if the share price drops enough then some other company would be interested in buying them out. The problem is, Nvidia's wealth was built on people paying over the odds on graphics cards and they will never get that again - too bad for them they wasted all that money.
March 4, 2009 9:57:10 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Just FYI, 2GB has a purpose... but only for those using them for GPGPU work or huge data sets, for gaming, pfft, couldn't really do much with it, it's too core limited nowadays.

Oh well, just makes me laugh with the [H] and Bit-Tech experiences, not the time to make enemies IMO.

Still just waiting on a nice laptop with the M-HD4870 + Win7, that's all I'm looking for, rebranded products from either company are just "ho-hum... whatever..." items nowadays.

for most gpgpu work more shaders or the ability to deal with double precision floats is going to be far more beneficial than that extra ram.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2009 9:58:35 PM

Rain1406 said:

Another reason why I'm going x58.

I can't just ditch my 780i mobo...I paid $220 for it. =(
March 4, 2009 10:05:41 PM

nvidia have lost direction some where, they need to get back on track
March 4, 2009 10:30:00 PM

lol, they will, but they will lose it again, I mean then it wouldn't be Nvidia:D 

See Nvidia and ATI have their differences but behind closed doors, they both do the tango together:D 
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 12:11:18 AM

Nvidia will never make as much money as they did 2-3 years ago. They need to branch out but intel are too powerful to let them in and ATI look like they are trying to finish them off with price cuts they cant compete with.

Nvidia's profit margins have been destroyed in one bad year and bad buys with physx and cuda. Worst of all is they have no friends, even sony have abandoned them for intel with playstation.
March 5, 2009 12:14:55 AM

That doesn't explain anything though, AMD was on the verge of Bankrupcy....so don't wish or count Nvidia out just yet.

Remember Nvidia is still a very wealth company, we can't judge the market till we see both company's next flagship card.

Its any1's game, and you better wish no1 wins:D , 1 wins, we lose:) 

Though, winning console VGA is a big thing,, I doubt it will be the breaker:)  Remember this is now, PS4 is still a long way, and the VGA can change, Nvidia, ATI, INtel, Thermaltake;) We'll have to see:D 

March 5, 2009 12:21:40 AM

I think they actually need to find a reason for people to buy a PS3 before they start selling a PS4. PS3 is trash. Came out 2+ years ago and has still yet to pick up any significant steam, at this point in the game last go around the PS2 was already crowned champ its first year in.
March 5, 2009 12:30:12 AM

yes but remember the ps3 has Blueray, and is meant to attract more than just gamer. It actually started picking up steam, games are looking and running better now:)  Which makes me happy since I bought 1 a month or 2 ago.

Remember that the ps2 was selling out still, so they decided to push that as much as they could before stopping:D .

It has al sorts of good games that came out or are coming out, Killzone 2 was and is an amazing game I finished it yesturday, Motorstorm is awesome....Uncharted...Resistance Ratchet and Clank. Then we Have God of War 3, GT 5, Bioshock 2 is coming to PS3, and developers from Capcom hinted that Lost Planet 2 (although for now a 360 Exclusive) will prob be coming to ps3.

Also don't forget that the BR -D has 50 gigs, which may attract developers to use all that space for uncompressed sound and textures:D 

I had a 360 for 3 months broke 3 times, last time I got it back from Microsoft sold it. Now Microsoft doesn't even supply the coffins anymore:) 
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 12:44:58 AM

My 360 broke a while back luckily i bought warranty and got a refund which i used for a wii. Only play hardcore on pc. =]
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 4:45:00 AM

Ignatowski said:
for most gpgpu work more shaders or the ability to deal with double precision floats is going to be far more beneficial than that extra ram.

I guess you missed the part where I said it had a purpose, not that it was the most important component.

But thanks for missing the point, eh! :pfff: 
March 5, 2009 1:11:59 PM

updated again
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 6:41:50 PM

L1qu1d said:
updated again

!