Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Overclocking
  • Systems
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
May 6, 2009 7:19:26 AM

I've been reading the overclocker's manual and I see tha (link to extreme systems, post by perkam appears very knowledgable) the BFG 550 isn't well liked by many enthusiasts. How much better would a seasonic s12 be for mild overclocking? Not even sure if I will overclock at all, but I've had bad psu's and I want something decent that won't crap out. Is the BFG brand that bad?

Seasonic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
BFG
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : 550 bfg seasonic s12 550

May 6, 2009 8:12:15 AM

I'd tend to go with the seasonic. It isn't just how much power - it's also how clean and stable the power is, and Seasonic is a brand I tend to trust.
May 6, 2009 8:57:40 AM

True - BFG makes some good PSUs. It's just that in the absence of specific data comparing any two PSUs, I will always go for a Seasonic, Corsair, or PC Power and Cooling PSU over almost any other.
Related resources
May 6, 2009 9:45:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Brand is the for weak-minded, only product matters.

See that? It applies to every product I research before buying. :) 
I have no use for warranty as I move around oftenly and electrical/electronic devices usually behaves in a way they either come DOA or works fine for years. (With the exception of China made leaky cap era in mid-2000s where every major electronic coompanies were affected.)

The thing about that statement is that as far as power supplies go, brand tends to be a fairly reliable indicator of product quality, with only a few exceptions.
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2009 10:36:16 AM

Sparkle, for example, have a couple of PSUs built by FSP, although I can't remember which ones. Sparkle is not a brand you'd typically associate with PSUs either.

EDIT: I meant FSP, not FSB

/facepalm
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 197 K Overclocking
May 6, 2009 12:37:18 PM

BFG or Seasonic? Seasonic.

Quote:
Funny thing is PCP&C is owned by OCZ. Neither of them actually make power supplies, nor does Corsair.

Yes, but the people who build PSU's for PCP&C and Corsair build their designs to their specs.
May 6, 2009 3:19:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, I know how important and underrated a good psu is.
Also, prices are similar, BFG 20$ MIR prolly will never come anyway.
a b ) Power supply
May 6, 2009 6:44:52 PM

randomizer said:
Sparkle, for example, have a couple of PSUs built by FSP, although I can't remember which ones. Sparkle is not a brand you'd typically associate with PSUs either.

EDIT: I meant FSP, not FSB

/facepalm

Sparkle is a division of FSP, so they are all made by them.
May 7, 2009 1:34:03 AM

I'm jumping on the soap box. After reading at least a hundred reviews on power supplies, they are very tricky to pick out. So many factors to consider:

How many watts on the 12 volt rails
How many rails
Noise
Modular vs Non
Price
Looks
Different Connectors and length of connectors
Who the real manufacturer is, and which parts are actually used in the power supply
Stability and cleanliness of the power
Warranty
Efficiency

So if you are unwilling or don't have the time to do a ton of research and don't mind shelling out a couple more bucks for an "equally" advertised rated power supply, go based on name brand. Like someone mentioned earlier, Corsair, Antec and Seasonic are all manufactured by Seasonic, so most if not all components are the same and the solid design carries over. Good luck with your purchase.
a b ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2009 2:03:36 AM

I buy Seasonic PSUs.

They also make PSUs for the following popular brands (to name a few)

PC Power & Cooling
Antec
Corsair
!