Sign in with
Your question

Aftermarket GPU cooling fan control help

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2010 10:55:10 PM

I recently purchased 2 gtx 470 cards for an SLI setup. After looking into reviews everything pointed to these
cards being very hot and very loud. The loud part I can deal with I guess but the heat I don't want to. I don't
plan on overclocking these cards but, I'm not happy with 90c on full load. I want it to run atmost 80c so I purchased
some aftermarket cooling.

2 ICY VISION VGA coolers from Gelid

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&...

My question though is how am I going to control the fan speeds? Do I have to buy a fan controller, If I do
I have never used one this is my first time installing an aftermarket cooler on a video card. Can I still control
the fan speeds within the video cards software. I'm realy lost at this point because I wan't to be able to turn
them up to 100% fan speed. If someone who knows about these ICY VISION coolers or someone willing to look
into it for me could post the best way for me to have control over these 2 VGA coolers I would realy appreciate it.

Thanks alot for taking the time to read this, I look forward to seeing a good answer :) 

EDIT: Just for reference to case cooling I'm using an Antec 1200 with good cable management
and lots of fans for airflow. The cpu cooler is a Noctua NH-D14.
August 15, 2010 11:38:12 PM

My personal preference, buy a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and connect it to an available 4 pin molex connector. That'll control the speeds regardless of any driver crap, and you'll have complete control of the fans whenever the system switches on (safety factor). I use one right now for an older PSU fan and its working great, 120mm 2700rpm fan so I know it'll handle the load just fine.

Edit: you would need one controller for each card, each cooler has its own fan connector and you shouldn't daisy chain them together on a single controller.
m
l
!