Sign in with
Your question

New rig - cant install Windows - ASUS P6T7, i7 920

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2009 2:54:21 PM

Hi, I'm building a new system but I can't get Windows to install. Ideally I'd like to get Win7 RC 64 bit installed but when the system boots it just hangs when its trying to read the Win7 DVD. It displays the message about detecting a bootable disks, and looks like its reading the disk, but then nothing happens. If I use my XP disk, it gets all the way through the initial setup, but when it says "Launching Windows" it blue screens each time. I have the Vista upgrade disks but I can't use them since Windows is not already installed. I have tried burning 3 different Win7 64-bit dvds, the latest attempt I tried dropping the burn speed as low as it would go, but with the same result. I'm starting to think maybe the MB or memory has a problem. I have ruled out the hard drives, I'm using 2 WD Raptor 10k rpms in RAID 0, but even if I break the raid and try using one by itself I get the same results. I can load the raid drivers from a USB floppy during the XP-pre install phase, before it BSODs. In my second system, the hard drives work fine, so does the Win XP disk. This is a water cooled system. Here is everything I've tried:

Reset the bios to defaults
Tried a different power supply
Tried a different DVD rom
Tried plugging the hard drives into various SATA ports (currently in 0 and 1)
Tried burning Win7 DVD at slowest speed
Tried a different PCI-E VGA card
Tried various Windows installation disks

Any ideas before I RMA the MB and/or the memory sticks? Tonight I'm going to try taking out 2 of the memory sticks. Here is the hardware:

ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer LGA 1366 Intel X58 CEB Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000

EVGA 017-P3-1297-AR CO-OP Hydro Copper GeForce GTX 295 1792MB

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor
12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire

Intel Core i7 920

All speeds are stock, no OC yet

a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2009 3:30:02 PM

Download Memtest and test those dominators before you RMA anything
October 23, 2009 12:54:57 PM

Hey, i have the same problem. my specs are; am3 3.1 duel core, 2gb ddr3 ram corsair value select, ATI HD 4850, gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H(rev. 1.0). Exactly the same problem. ive tried windows 7, vista and XP all either freeze during installation, or install fine then reboot to startup then blue screen of death. PLEASE HELP!!
October 23, 2009 4:09:56 PM

My problem turned out to be a bad download of the Win7 RC. After burning 3 DVDs with no luck, I redownloaded the RC, burned it at the slowest speed possible, and it worked
Related resources
!