Video Card Crash but Isn't the Hardware

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Recently I purchased all my parts for my new Home Computer from Newegg and assembled it. Everything was working beautifully up until I tried to play a game. Any game. When I try to play something the game will run for but a few seconds and then crash to desktop with the error "Display Driver has stopped working and has Successfully Recovered."

After updating Drivers & BIOS multiple times I came to the conclusion that the Video Memory was bad and sent the Video Card back to Newegg and received a new card. The problem is still happening though and I've installed reinstalled Vista Home Premium from scratch, and updated the Manufacturer specific Video Drivers. The only thing I havn't tried is switching the VGA Port and trying out different PCI-E connectors (Which I intend to try when I get home).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :??:

Specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P
Power Supply - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
RAM - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video Card - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-Bit DRR5

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Thank you for the welcome & the post. I checked the certified products and according to that list you gave my TX750W is compatible with the 48xx HD series.

First off, give yourself a leval playing field. Undo any overclocks and restore the BIOS to its default settings. Make sure Vista and DX is fully updated (but see link below first). Test with only one memory module in at a time to eliminate them.
Check the graphics card/cpu fans are actually working and neither is overheating, I like Speedfan for the CPU and Rivatuner for the GPU.
Readme;

http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-stopped-responding.php

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Thanks I'm going to give a lot of these fixes a shot when I get off work today. I'll come back crying if they don't work.

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Alright so I still havn't solved the issue but I have narrowed down a few things. I reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit again from scratch and went through the necessary recommended updates.
The computer generally works perfectly fine until the Video Card drivers are installed then the computer blue screens on start up. I uninstalled the Video Card drivers after that in Safe Mode and yep the Computer functions okay right up until the most recent drivers then restart then crash.
Any thoughts?

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I forgot to mention that when I tried to install the updates roughly 36/44 of them Failed. After that the computer went through a process of Configuring Errors & Reconfiguring. Currently, I'm installing the updates 3-4 at a time since I've read taking it slowly with large amounts of updates gets better results.

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Ran the MemTest over night and didn't get any errors. Gonna install XP 32 Bit in a little bit to see how that goes.

Mr Spade

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Scratch that. Me & My buddy decided to first try the card in the 2nd PCI slot on the motherboard and so far it hasn't crashed once. I need to get some sort of stress test going on it before I come to a solid conclusion but so far it looks like the 1st PCI slot on the motherboard was defective. Gonna have to call Gigabyte now.