Upgrade Motherboard

ronhawker

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I would like to upgrade a Dell system with a new motherboard combo. It's a home system media mostly and no gaming. Budget system basically and would like to use some legacy boards mostly PCI. Am running Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 currently with 1gb memory. Not bad really for basics. Too slow of course for most media or audio.

What area of motherboards/CPU chipset combo should I be looking at? ATX form factor I expect. Built many system from scratch in the past. Only using the Dell for the case design which I like. Have some Antec case system but I like the modular design and easy access of the Dell cases. I know they are proprietary motherboards and no docs but an ATX form factor should work.

The e5200 retail boxed Intel cpu and foxconn ELA p45 board are $69.99 each and offer great value. Foxconn makes alot of boards for Dell, and the p45 is the most popular chipset for atx boards. Both are sold at newegg.com, one of the largest computer parts venders in the world. They have great customer service. I've been buying from them and Fry's for over 5 years.