IHAS124 Y Reading problems

barret50cal

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
hey guys, I'm having problems with this optical drive reading older cd's and burnt dvd's. I have BL0X firmware loaded on the drive. An example is my old Return to Castle Wolfenstein CD, it reads almost immediately on my Dell Dimension with an older IDE Pioneer drive in it, but I just built my new i5 PC with this drive, and it's not reading things very well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

barret50cal

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
well looks like it's the morning for both of us... one quick slice more of info, the wolfenstein cd has a cdfs filesystem, it seems like win 7 has limited support for these, but the dell with the ide drive has the same exact version of win 7 loaded.

barret50cal

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
ok, before i posted this problem, i flashed my drive firmware from bl0w to bl0x, it didnt seem to make any difference, except for that another different cdfs disk that i own now works. I have two cdfs disks besides the wolfenstein disk, and they both read crystal clear, one of them was the same as the wolfenstein disk thought, it would read on the ide drive but not my ihas124. After i flashed it, it seemed to work, but would get finnicky with AutoPlay, so i turned it off.

barret50cal

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Well just installed the ide drive and of course it works perfectly, but running the installation for the game just reminded me, this disk has always had problems, it spits up an error 99% of the time at 93% or so of the installation. it says at first that an i/o error occured, and it asks to cancel install or try again. trying again gets you nowhere, and pressing cancel makes a popup show "Corrupt installion files". It has had this problem for a long time now that I remember. After about an hour of messing with it, I was usually able to get it to 100%. We'll see how it goes now. So theres nothing to fix all that, is there?

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Just replace the defective optical drive with a Pioneer model that meets your requirements, they are very cheap now.

If you've tried to copy a disc in it (even just a read copy) which had copy protection on it then you've reduced the life of the drive significantly. This is probably why the drive is having trouble with some discs.

That and age, Pioneer DVD drives are known for their reliability. (Much like Sony CD drives, at least for awhile...).

It sounds like the disc is scratched or smudged to the point where the drives are having a hard time reading it. Some drives do read discs better than others, but there is no miracle cure. You can try to use a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc. I've actually had the worst luck with pioneer drives. I've got a LG SecureDisc that reads better than any of my other drives.

barret50cal

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Well, there's so many claims of different companies out there, I think I'll just stay with this burner if it isn't broken. The disk reads fine on the ide drive, but doesnt seem to want to install on my win 7 system with the lite on drive in it. It goes through the entire install and then when it gets to the part to load the bar to 93 % and stop, it never loads the bar.

Which tells me there is a scratch or smudge on that part of the disc. When it tries to read that information, it can't, and fails. You can slap the IDE drive into your windows 7 system, install the game, and then put your LiteOn drive back in it. If that helps?

barret50cal

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
no i already tried that i meant, sorry if im not making much sense here. It still doesn't work in the SATA drive. I have the ide drive installed, tried with and without compatability mode with the install, because the game supports Win 95 all the way to Win XP. setup went all the way through to the setup bar then says i/o error.