Fastest SSD for XP users priced at about $150 ??

Tom92602

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
The more reviews I read, the more confused I get.

Some reviews claim Crucial C300 64GB is the fastest with 355MB reads
Some reviews claim the OCZ Vertex2 60GB is the fastest with lower performance degradation.
Some reviews claim the Intel X25-M has the best "overall" performance in real world use.

I know XP does not support Trim so either the SDD has to come with a good "wiper" tool
or you may as well pass on it.

So given all this, which SSD would be the fastest XP boot drive and not loose its performance
over time?

Thanks for your advice..

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
If you're using XP and thus have no Trim, then I would say, use the 15% reserve trick. When you initially format the drive, leave ~ 15% unformatted. Unformatted space will be available to the SSD internally to restore itself. Of course, this will mean you can't use that space, but this is the price you pay for not being able to use Trim.

The intel drive is the fastest in so-called "day-to-day" use - excellent IOps, very fast write, very fast random r/w - but slow writes. Additionally, with your budget you could only get the 40 gig drive which would come down to 34.

I'd usually recommend an intel drive, but in your case I'd say go with Crucial.

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I'll add that if you're OK with spending a bit extra on 1 80Gig AND you've lost TRIM, you could consider a raid with 2 40gig intel drives. Raid looses trim - which is a reason why some people don't do it with SSDs, but since you don't have trim to begin with, it would be beneficial in your case.

It would basically be the same as an 80 gig, but your read speed will be a bit higher.

This thread explains more, if you're interested: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259216-32-intel-ssds-raid0-long-term

The Intel gen1 80gb drives got a microcode update that improved the delete efficiency because they could not be updated with trim.

The 40gb drives are gen2 w/o trim.

The single 80gb drive has more nand chips in it that can be accessed concurrently. An internal raid-0 if you will. That is one reason why the larger drives get better sequential read speeds. Not that it matters much because the benefit to the OS is mostly the faster small read/write times and any SSD is good for that.

Tom92602

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I read that Intel is coming out with Gen3 SSD's in 2 months.
The new lineup will use 25nm NAND memory. One would think
this means faster SSD? Maybe I should wait 2 months?

PS: BestBuy has the Intel X25-M 80GB on sale for $170 online with free shipping
today only.

If you can, wait or suffer buyer's remorse.

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Can you post a link? I don't see any intel SSDs on BestBuy's site.

$170 is a tempting offer though.