here's a head scratcher for you guys on this same issue, " Error Code: 0x8007045D".
1. hardware is 11 month old Dell Studio 1535, 4 gig ram, 120 gig HD, bluray (not that it matters).
2. installation of Vista WILL occur at about 70% complete doing clean install.
3. Media is not the issue. This occurs with the OEM Vista Home Edition SP1 disk, a retail disk of Vista Ultimate, my MSDN copy of Vista and a known-good copy of Win 7 RC0.
4. Its not acting like a hardware failure issue, because Ubuntu 9.0.4 installs and runs like a champ. I did a clean install of this OS and it works just fine. Same with FreeBSD. Both OS's install as expected and can partition the disk as needed.
5. Becasue I've wiped the disk partitions by installing/testing other OS's, there is no BootMGR to repair, so repair disks won't work.
6. I also ran the Dell Memory Diagnostics disk and all tests run without errors.
7. I've switched the disk modes back and forth in the BIOS to see if that might be the issue. its not.
I know this is quite a puzzler. The error codes (from the SMART hardware) may reveal something, I just haven't gone to the trouble of looking them up yet.
I'm probablly going to end up with a fun service call escalation/warranty replacement for the HD/MB for this one but I thought I'd give it a shot.