xxx666yyy777

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
All,

Recently my Lacie HD (250GB Porsche Design) started to act up. Each time I would turn it on and plug in, it would take longer and longer to 'show up'. At times it won't show up at all. I took the drive out and used a different (Lacie, same design) encosure, but the issue persisted. I also plugged the HD into a PC directly on the IDE port - while the HD shows up during the POST, the PCdoes not continue to boot and just stops. Sometimes, the HD shows up in Explorer and I can access some data, sometimetimes the drive shows up in Device Manager, but not in Explorer...

Any ideas? Should I replace the PCB?

Thanks!

It sounds like the hard drive is on its way out. How old is it? To see if that is the case, try plugging it into another computer. If you get the same results, I'd bet that it's a sign it's about done. If not, it's an issue with your computer.

xxx666yyy777

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Tried different computers - same results. The drive is definitely several (if not 10) years old. I got past the jumper settings (what a mess!!!), but i was asked to format the drive, as it was recognized as not initialized. Interestingly, Device Manager did show the make (Seagate) of the drive, while EasyRecovery showed the drive as a bunch of partitions with negative sizes...the results are unpredictable - I even once had the drive working (for an hour or so), and then it stopped. Sometimes, nothing at all with show up, sometimes the drive will show up as unformatted/uninitialized...twice in the last 24 hours, I was able to see the files/filesystem on the drive.