Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Keep my Dark Knight, or replace it when I sell comp?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • New Build
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 16, 2010 2:46:28 PM

Hey all!

I am selling my current rig this week, and have all the parts for a new build to replace it. Well, except a CPU HSF.

The system I am selling has a Xigmatek Dark Knight on the e8400.

If I include that part, the buyer is adding $20 to the selling price. If I keep it for myself and put the stock intel cooler back on it, I lose that $20, but get to put the Dark Knight on my new PIIx4 955.

Couple of things:

1.) I'm new to AMD, will the Xigmatek Dark Knight fit the AM3 socket?

2.) Is this just a good chance to buy a different cooler? The DK has served me well enough though so I know it's solid.

3.) If I sell the system with the cooler I don't have to install the stock intel before selling, and that's one less thing to install during the building process.

4.) Any cooler suggestions? I hear the Hyper 212+ get tossed around a lot. It's only $30 on amazon. Is it better than the Dark Knight? As far as ease of installation goes, I see many many good reviews for the Arctic Cooling freezer 7 series. Plus it doesn't require a backplate installation. Anyone have any experience with this cooler?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance all!
~xRome

More about : dark knight replace sell comp

August 16, 2010 5:10:47 PM

Clarifying my question here...

1.) Keep the Xigmatek Dark Knight for myself, install it on my new AMD 955, and reinstall the stock intel HSF on the computer I'm selling

2.) Sell the computer with the Dark Knight (for the extra $20) and buy a replacement cooler

-Cooler Master Hyper 212+
-Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

Thoughts?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2010 5:56:26 PM

go with the 212+
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 11:20:32 PM

jonpaul37 said:
go with the 212+

Any particular reason?
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 17, 2010 12:40:57 AM

The Dark Knight is just as good as the 212+ and if you still have all your stuff it came with they fit AMD2/3.
I would keep it.
Btw the AC Freezer isn't even close.
Worse case scenario is you have to pay $10 for Crossbow mounting brackets.
m
l
August 17, 2010 4:14:15 PM

The DK looks fricken awesome with its dark plating and white led fan. Plus it seems to cool better by a couple degrees idle and load than 212+.

The reason to sell it would be to avoid the extra install/uninstall steps. Plus I would be getting a brand new cooler instead of one thats 2 years old.

But I know it worked. I got idle temps of 32 and load temps in the low 50's.

I was also looking at the ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm. Again, it looks sick, has great reviews and is affordable it seems at under $40.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2010 11:41:09 PM

xrome said:
Any particular reason?

How much does a 212+ cost? If you sell the DK for $20.00 more, that may be a contributing factor in selling the entire rig.

Personally i like a brand new HS/F for any new Rig that i build, usually comes with fresh layer of thermal paste that is tough to achieve after first use, etc...
m
l
August 18, 2010 1:57:21 PM

jonpaul37 said:
How much does a 212+ cost? If you sell the DK for $20.00 more, that may be a contributing factor in selling the entire rig.

Personally i like a brand new HS/F for any new Rig that i build, usually comes with fresh layer of thermal paste that is tough to achieve after first use, etc...

The 212+ is $30 on amazon.com

I like the idea of a new HSF for the new build as well. I definitely wouldnt be using the stock thermal paste though... I still have a nearly full tube of AS5 around somewhere.

So its paying $10 for a 212+ or paying $20 for a used Dark Knight basically.

Bah I wish the DK didn't look so sexy in my Antec 902. The DK also has a better "flushness" to the direct contact pipes than the 212+ from what I have read. And the DK cools slightly better from all accounts.

Hmm... I just found a green LED 120mm CM fan... does the hyper 212+ come with mountings for 2 fans on this cooler? because that might seal the deal if I can add this second 120mm fan to the cooler for no cost.

Anyone know? :) 
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 2:19:32 PM

xrome said:
The 212+ is $30 on amazon.com

I like the idea of a new HSF for the new build as well. I definitely wouldnt be using the stock thermal paste though... I still have a nearly full tube of AS5 around somewhere.

So its paying $10 for a 212+ or paying $20 for a used Dark Knight basically.

Bah I wish the DK didn't look so sexy in my Antec 902. The DK also has a better "flushness" to the direct contact pipes than the 212+ from what I have read. And the DK cools slightly better from all accounts.

Hmm... I just found a green LED 120mm CM fan... does the hyper 212+ come with mountings for 2 fans on this cooler? because that might seal the deal if I can add this second 120mm fan to the cooler for no cost.

Anyone know? :) 

The fans mount with screws on the 212+ not clips and i can't remember if you get a second set of screws to add another fan.
Not a bad idea to add a different fan though cuz the one it ships with isn't the quietest.
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:59:29 PM

Interesting. The extra fan I have is one of the 90CFM/19dcb CM fans. That should do the trick. Anyone know how far the average person can OC a 955 without a voltage increase on a hyper 212+/DK? :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 5:19:52 PM

They have the same fan so the noise level will be the same but if I had a choice I'd buy the fan bracket version because clips/brackets are plastic so there is no chance of a short if it comes loose. On the standard version it uses metal clips and if one of those comes loose there could be a short on the motherboard or graphics card. But that wont happen if it is installed properly.

If you are definitely going to buy the 212 plus then I'd recommend the cheapest one because they both perform equally. I have the standard version and I am very happy with it.
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 5:26:26 PM

xrome said:
Interesting. The extra fan I have is one of the 90CFM/19dcb CM fans. That should do the trick. Anyone know how far the average person can OC a 955 without a voltage increase on a hyper 212+/DK? :) 

You could probably get to about 3.6ghz on stock voltage. However, I have never overclocked a 955/965 so I am not sure but I did read somewhere that a 955 can do 3.6 on stock voltage.
m
l
August 20, 2010 2:49:46 AM

Best answer selected by xrome.
m
l
August 20, 2010 2:51:13 AM

Bought the Hyper 212+. It is enroute to my house and hopefully gets delivered Friday!

Then I can build my new rig woowoo. Thanks all for your thoughts.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2010 12:37:41 PM

That's great, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for best answer :) 
m
l
!