Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to speed up formatting a 1TB USB HDD on Vista

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 16, 2010 1:27:23 AM

Hello,

IS there a way to speed up the formatting process? am currently using windows disk mgmt native utility 3hrs+ and counting on 2x 350GB partitions currently about 28% done
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 2:43:10 AM

are you running any other programs? if you are, then close them. if not, then there is really nothing else you can do (besides updating hardware)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 3:08:57 AM

You could always quick format it. A full format is probably a good idea though, especially if it is a new drive.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 4:44:55 AM

cjl said:
You could always quick format it. A full format is probably a good idea though, especially if it is a new drive.

Its a new drive formating 2x350Gb partitions NTFS everything default only IE is open

Specs
proc 1.7ghz
mem 2.5 GB RAM

Approx 8 hrs and counting now
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 4:46:43 AM

there isn't much you can do to speed it up
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 4:51:14 AM

jefe323 said:
are you running any other programs? if you are, then close them. if not, then there is really nothing else you can do (besides updating hardware)


What I am wondering about is what is a normal or common formatting time for this size drive?
Is it impacted by running 2 operations at once? since the head is jumping from one area of the drive to the next

In the past in windows it used to format 1 drive and park the other operations till it finished in Vista it is formatting both at the same time

only IE at the moment and Notepad
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 4:55:53 AM

running two at once might slow it down.

formatting time varies on hardware configurations
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 5:02:13 AM

Formatting a large drive takes a long time - especially if you format it as one volume. If you break it into volumes, you can use the formatted volume while you format the rest, but it will obviously take longer.

What is really soaking up the time is the fact that it's a USB drive. Nowyou understand the push to USB3. :) 
Share
August 16, 2010 5:04:38 AM

If you can I would stop one partition from formatting and try to format just the one and see if there is a difference.
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 5:08:23 AM

Best answer selected by enderbean.
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 5:12:15 AM

birdeye said:
If you can I would stop one partition from formatting and try to format just the one and see if there is a difference.


Pretty reluctant to mess with it at this point it is 8hrs+ into this & 61% and 48% completion

Still have the last partition to format but think I'll give the HDD the rest of the night off after it is done then test it in the morning using the WD util for any probs
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 5:16:09 AM

If it is taking that long the drive(s) might be defective.

And yes, formatting two partitions on the same physical drive at the same time is going to cause both formats to take exponentially longer. That is storage 101.

m
0
l
August 16, 2010 5:16:15 AM

jsc said:
Formatting a large drive takes a long time - especially if you format it as one volume. If you break it into volumes, you can use the formatted volume while you format the rest, but it will obviously take longer.

What is really soaking up the time is the fact that it's a USB drive. Nowyou understand the push to USB3. :) 


Do you know if eSata speeds up something like this???

Wondering how long till USB3 is widely adopted in other words affordable.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 6:50:41 AM

eSata would speed it up significantly, yes.
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 8:36:11 AM

"Its a new drive formating 2x350Gb partitions NTFS"

eSATA wouldn't help much if he is formatting two partitions on the same drive at the same time. He should be able to hear the drive heads seeking like mad.
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 8:47:47 AM

Scott2010au said:
"Its a new drive formating 2x350Gb partitions NTFS"

eSATA wouldn't help much if he is formatting two partitions on the same drive at the same time. He should be able to hear the drive heads seeking like mad.


Can't hear it over the big A$$ fan i have running but i can feel the thrashing through the enclosure :pfff: 

coming up on 13hrs completion @ 92% and 67%

Another stupid mistake to add to my several so far today was not disabling the defrag schedule :fou: 
m
0
l
August 16, 2010 8:50:31 PM

eSata or usb 3 would NOT format faster.

esata and usb affect the transfer rate of drives. in the case of formatting, no trans fer is being done. A command is set to write out sectors on the drive.

And formatting 2 partitions on the same drive will take exponentionnaly longer as mentionned by another user.
m
0
l
!