v8137

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello,i have a Compaq computer my computer keyboard its type is micro innovations or internet keyboard elite i can not type without holding down key

ron57

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hi V8137;

Did you try your keyboard on another system? If it gives the same problem it is probably just the keyboard at fault.

1. If it is the key board itself, you can just buy another one or if you have the time and the patience you can disassemble and clean the mechanical action of the key(s) affected. With keyboards being as inexpensive as they are it's probably a lot more cost/time effective to just buy a new one but the choice is yours.

2. Another thing you can do, if the keyboard works fine on another system, is do a system restore to a point prior to when you were having these problems. I have had problems like these come up in the past when my drive has gotten too full or too fragmented. What can sometimes happen in this situation is basic controller drivers can become unstable or even corrupted.

If the system restore works out, then you know that's what might have occurred. To prevent this in the future keep your disk consistently defragmented. I personally use a 3rd party defragmenter that does it's thing automatically and transparently so I never have to think about it. The better defragmenters also allow you to use a higher percentage of your drive space and still defragment effectively. This is crucial if you always seem to be running your drive nearly full all the time. Check this link out to learn more about the top defragmenters.

http://www.softwareinreview.com/products-reviewed/best-2011-disk-defragmenter-software/comment-page-1/#comment-1038.

With storage capacity as high as it is I suspect that fragmentation causes a lot more problems than currently realized.

3. If the keyboard works fine on another system and/or another keyboard also doesn't work on your system, your keyboard control card could be faulty. If your KB controller is integrated into your motherboard you may have to replace the whole mother board. Check to see how the keyboard plugs in to the system. If the connector goes directly into the mother board you might need to replace it.

Hope this helps you out

Cheers