New motherboard (GA-EP43-DS3L) now Vista 32 won't boot

nigelmercier

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I have just replaced my motherboard with a GA-EP43-DS3L. The system will no longer boot. Vista starts to load, briefly flashes a blue screen, then restarts. I have run Repair on the Vista DVD, but no change.

MartenKL

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I think you have to reinstall the OS. I don't think it is recommended or even possible to change motherboard without doing so. To get the correct drivers for the motherboard etc.

bilbat

Splendid
MartenKL is correct, you will need/want to reload your OS to a fresh partition, load the drivers from the disk that shipped with the MOBO (uncheck the power saver, and do the automatic install - that way it will be sequenced correctly - some drivers need other drivers to be loaded previously, to enable 'dicovery' of the hardware - it will reboot several times during this process...)and then restore your data from backups (you do have backups?) - might be a good time for the switch to Windows 7 - you'll never go back to Vista!

bilbat

Splendid
I use BootItNG to select from: (courtesy of TechNet)
DOS (for the occasional old command-line utitity that won't run under any flavor of windoze...)
UbuntuX86
UbuntuX64
XpProX86
XpProX64
VistaUltimateX86
VistaUltimateX64
Win7βRC1X86
Win7βRC1X64

Haven't booted from anything but 7/64 in weeks since it was released to TechNet; have only re-booted for program/driver installs or trips to the BIOS to check on things for advice here...

Fast, robust, powerful; run both flavors of Ubuntu and XpX86 in virtual boxes; total of three bug reports to MS (and one of those was actually ATI's problem) so far, and I run over a hundred programs!