Same brand, same speed, diff timings

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Hey guys. 2 part question. I currently have 2x2Gb of G Skill PI Black PC6400, which runs at 4-4-4-12. I have another 2X1Gb of G Skill ram I want to add, but it runs at 5-5-5-15. My guess is I should be able to manually set the timing to 4-4-4-12 in the bios so they all run at the same speed. Should this work? I'd really rather not buy another 4Gb of ram since nothing I run would ever use that much. The only reason I want the 6 Gb is because I run 3 instances of Everquest all from the same PC. EQ by itself will never use more than 2Gb, but as I understand it, each instance can use up to 2Gb. It runs fairly well as is, but I get some hesitation sometimes. The heistation, more like a video freeze, doesn't happen a lot, but annoying when it does. That leads to the second part.

My assumption is that its having to acess the hard drive more often pulling data for 3 instances at once. EQ is known for being a bit of a memory hog. I guess it could be the video cards, but I wouldn't think so. Opinions on vid or RAM here?

Specs in sig. Thanks for reading. :hello:

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
If you are using a 32bit OS the maximum addressable memory 4GB.
64bit the standard limitation is 128GB.

Amswer: Yes, you can adjust your Ram timing in Bios. Either reduce the PI's to 5-5-5-15 or try to get the 2x1 sticks to run at 4-4-4-12 with out errors.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Oh, yeah, Vista Premium 64. Forgot to mention that. :sol:

I know that I CAN adjust the timings, just didn't know if anyone had any experience, and if there had been any issues.

Should have asked earlier, but also I've heard it can slow the memory by using all 4 slots instead of 2. I'm guessing it would be negligible, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Why am I a newbie again?! Did they reset us?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll play around with it this weekend.

Another question though. Bad idea to put it in and see what the mobo sets it as? Or am I better off setting it manually from the start?

Read about the new rankings a bit ago, but thanks for the link. Not that I had thousands of posts, but I was +500. 90% of those responses trying to help others. I'd think it'd count for something. :(

TRENDING THREADS