Sign in with
Your question

Re-overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2010 2:26:00 PM

howdy folks,

i recently oc'ed my homebuid to 3.4 ghz on an athlon x3, but lost my settings when i had to reinstall windows (i loaded fail-safe settings in bois before reinstalling). my questions is, can i just replug in the settings i had before, going from stock straight to 3.4, or should i ramp it up slowly like i did the first time around?

i don't want to put in all the time if i can avoid it, but don't want to fritz my cpu either. if it matters, the oc was done strictly thru bus tweaking, no voltage changes were made.

thanks.

More about : overclocking

a c 235 K Overclocking
August 17, 2010 3:00:00 PM

Why did you have to re-install Windows, and why did you have to touch the BIOS settings at all to do it?

Unless some hardware had failed that isn't mentioned, a Windows re-install shouldn't have had a thing to do with the BIOS settings?

If no hardware has changed, you should be able to re-enter the settings and be back in business.

Unless of course your overclock is what caused the problems!
m
l
August 18, 2010 2:01:06 AM

why i had to reinstall windows is irrelevant. the oc didn't cause the problem. it ran prime95 stable for 12 hours and served fine for months of regular use. i just didn't know if stepping the bus frequency in small increments was safer than one big jump, even though i've already tested the chip.

thanks.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 235 K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 11:21:18 AM

bgclevenger said:
why i had to reinstall windows is irrelevant. the oc didn't cause the problem. it ran prime95 stable for 12 hours and served fine for months of regular use. i just didn't know if stepping the bus frequency in small increments was safer than one big jump, even though i've already tested the chip.

thanks.

None of my questions were irrelevant since you didn't include the information, if the reason you were reinstalling Windows was because you had to replace your Motherboard, then your settings may not be able to be reused as they were set.

You should have been able to reinstall Windows without touching the BIOS settings in the first place, as long as your overclock was stable.

Well good luck to you!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 4:04:03 PM

One jump is fine if you remember your old settings and know your system like the back of your hand.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 18, 2010 7:31:29 PM

Yeah it's not an issue if you recall the settings. I've reset my CMOS and then just stuck in the numbers I remembered to get back up to 4ghz. But then I also did some burn tests just to make sure it was right and stable.
m
l
August 20, 2010 1:22:05 AM

sorry if i came across as a jerk, 4ryan6. i appriciate the response, as well as the others that have come since. i had to reinstall windows because i had messed up the mbr while playing around with dual booting. after several unsuccessful attempts to repair it, i decided to start over. i like to rebuild my hard drive every now and again anyway.

i did return to my previous settings and everything is running just fine and dandy. prime95 stable and recoding video like a champ.

thanks everyone.
m
l
!