Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5Q Overheating majorly

Last response: in Motherboards
July 9, 2009 6:39:04 PM

57 Degrees celcius. That's what the reading is currently in both Speedfan and ASUS Probe.

Some Specs for you:
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
It's in an Antec Sonata III Box
2x 120 mm chassis fans (one in front one on back)
Intel E8400 Duo Core Processor (fans not
Sapphire ATI Radeon 4830 (stock fan)

And heres the really weird part, here's the other idle temperature readings

Motherboard (System) 56-57
CPU 19
AUX 26
HD0 29
Core1 40
Core2 40
ATI Radeon 34

So I'm thinking (hoping) that the motherboard issue is actually a malfunctioning sensor rather than an actual overheating machine.. but I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm new at this tell me if theres any information that I'm missing here.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 9, 2009 7:27:53 PM

Are you overclocking or did you increase the NB voltage?
July 9, 2009 7:32:52 PM

GhislainG said:
Are you overclocking or did you increase the NB voltage?

I'm not overclocking anything in the CPU or motherboard, and all of the voltage values have been untouched since I bought the motherboard.
Related resources
July 9, 2009 7:39:08 PM

"The Motherboard (System) 56-57" temp may be the NB temp. that is an OK temp for a NB.

My temp probe sticked on the NB heatsink is in the low 30c with a 80MM fans blowing directly to it. No fans take this probe temp to 36c and in the low-mid 40 if gaming.

My probe is on the top of this Heatsink ... so the NB is HOTTER. Your temp seems fine if the "Motherboard (System)" is the NB. Im quite sure it is.

July 11, 2009 2:16:41 AM

Now I'm really kind of worried.. after a long gaming session it spiked up to about 69C, and there are some funny things happening to the graphics on my computer, although my computer claims that it's the graphics card causing that little killjoy..
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 11, 2009 2:32:42 AM

It looks like your video card also overheats. You have a fan in the back, but is there enough space behind the case for good airflow? Are the fans set at their lowest speed? What's your room temperature?

I have 2 systems in an Antec Sonata III case and they are fine, but my office temperature is between 21-23°C.
July 11, 2009 7:42:41 PM

GhislainG said:
It looks like your video card also overheats. You have a fan in the back, but is there enough space behind the case for good airflow? Are the fans set at their lowest speed? What's your room temperature?

I have 2 systems in an Antec Sonata III case and they are fine, but my office temperature is between 21-23°C.

My card is a little overclocked, but I make sure theres enough cooling in my system that it never goes above about 50-52°C, which I fathom isnt too bad for it. My room down here is pretty much right next to the air conditioning, so when the rest of my house is 22°C it's about 15°C in here.

So what do you think of the motherboard issue specifically? At the temperatures it's reading it should theoretically be melted plastic by now.. so maybe just a bad sensor?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 11, 2009 8:24:22 PM

Plastic doesn't melt at such a low temp. Can you keep your fingers on the NB cooler for several seconds? If so, then it isn't bad. Don't forget that some areas on Earth can get that hot.

If your video card doesn't overheat, then it doesn't like being overclocked.
!