GTX 260 to much for my Rosewill 600w

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Ive read a lot of threads about the amperage power consumption of the Geforce gtx 260 and i cant find the exact answer im looking for. My gtx 260 arrives tommarow so ill try to make this quick and easy.

Is my Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W Power Supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032 ) going to be enough to fully power my new Geforce gtx 260 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370 ) ??

Computer Specs:
-Motherboard :Gigabyte ga-p35-s3g
-cpu: Intel core2 duo 3.00ghz
-2 gigs Ram
-120 gig Sata hard drive
-Dvd writer
-3x 80mm Fans
-Also Wireless logitech revolution mouse, generic keyboard, 5.1 computer speaker system

For quick reference the side of my PSU reads: +3.3v = 30A, +5v = 55A, +12v1 = 19A, +12v2 = 19A, -12v = 1A, +5Vsb = 2.5A.

It also lists 430W under maxium watt output for both 12v rails combined.

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
430w for 12v means just under 36amp. The card says 36a min. required but you should be safe as these requirements are far above what is basically needed and are quoted for myriads of peripherals. Also the efficiency of over 72% is good. But I'd not recommend overclocking on this psu.

Just make sure you connect both 6 pin connectors on different 12v rails.

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
430w for 12v means just under 36amp.
Is it? I thought it would be 38... I felt better about having that 2 amp extra but now "almost" meeting the bare minimum scares me a bit. lol

try this http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
simple power suply calculator.
Yea ive seen this befor, I was looking for somthing to read out my amperage once I have the card installed to see how its performing. Although it looks like you have to pay to get the feature for Amp reading in that program, do you possibly know of somthing free?

Thanks for the help btw you two :)

Though it doesn't have as many component options this calculator will give you an idea of actual power use
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The specs for the video card say minimum 36amps on the 12volt rail.The PSU you have only has a combined total of 35amps,with only 19amps on the 12 volt rail itself.I would recommend getting another PSU 550watt-650watt,with 40+amps on the 12volt rail.I run a GTX 260 and I find it to be a very hungry card.See my system specs.Goodluck.

Dahak

ASUS P5N-D
C2D E8500 STOCK
ZALMAN 9500 CPU COOLER
2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP PRO

atomiktoaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
You might want to upgrade to a more trusted PSU manufacturer like antec, corsair, seasonic or PC Power & Cooling. Rosewill PSUs tend to have a poor reputation.

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
ohh man my eyes hurt.. I just spent a couple hours reading through many many posts about powering a gtx 260, rosewill power supplys, anything with those two in possible relevence. Also skimmed over about 50 computer specs seeing if anyone was running what I plan to run If i just popped my new card in. Found 1 maybe 2 people without a problem..

I think I will keep my Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL for now and just replace my graphics card with the new gtx 260 when I get it today. Being so close to the power minimum im pretty sure the worst that will happen is it will shut off on boot-up or under heavy graphic load. In that case I would upgrade my Psu for sure, but for right now Im not sure If I realy need to.

Well Ill make sure to let you know how it goes once I get it today. When I upgrade I usuaslly wait long enough untell I can atleast double the performance of the part im wishing to upgrade. So im hoping for a good benchmark, possibly my biggest graphics upgrade ever. :D

m0oSe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I would consider returning it for a refund if its been under 30 days since you got it, PSUs aren't something you want to take chances with. Rosewill is not known to make quality PSUs and I would hate for it to fry and take out the motherboard with it.

You won't have any issues running that card on your current system. The recommended minimum specs say 36A however that is on a fully loaded system. This would most likely be a quad core CPU, a few HD's, Optical drives, and packed with memory. You only have a dual core and a few other items sucking juice. You will have no issues with just that single card. The GTX 260 is pretty good on power.

I just upgraded my PSU because i go a really good deal and it is in anticipation for an upgrade soon. I formally had a Coolmax 600W with (2) 19A rails and am running a 4870, which consumes more power than a GTX 260. And I have somewhat similar specs.

You will be fine, no worries.

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I would consider returning it for a refund if its been under 30 days since you got it, PSUs aren't something you want to take chances with. Rosewill is not known to make quality PSUs and I would hate for it to fry and take out the motherboard with it.

Return the graphics card or the Rosewill? the rosewill is probably 2-3 years old by now, and despite all the negetivity ive heard I havnt had any problems with this model.

Id be willing to under clock it 5% or so if that would help the power or if is it even possible?

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Rosewill arnt nice PSU ... most of the reviews are BAD .. sry about this milord !

Do yourslef a favor and buy a NICE psu. Corsair, PC-P&C(OCZ), TT, Antec ...

FROM HARWARE SECRETS :

The problem when we tried to pull 600 W from this unit was that when the power supply was hot, it wouldn’t turn on with a load around 600 W, a typical behavior of a protection kicking in. We know it wasn’t the over temperature protection (OTP) because the power supply would turn on with any other load pattern below 100% when it was hot. It looked like over power protection (OPP) but the monitoring integrated circuit used (PS223) doesn’t support this protection, even though Solytech lists OPP as a feature present on this power supply. What was stranger was that this protection was active only when we turned on the power supply with our 100% load already selected, if we turned on our power supply with a different load and then selected our 100% load the power supply would work just fine.

Since your rosewill psu has been in use and not giving you a problem, I would just go ahead and install the new vga card.
The vga vendors tend to be very conservative with their psu recommendations.

On the other hand, you don't want to run a marginal psu at 100%.
1) The power can easily deteriorate when the unit is pushed.
2) Starting at a max of 72% efficient, it will be worse at full load. It will cost you extra every day to run it.
3) At full load, the psu will need extra cooling. The fan will spin up and be noisy.

If you get any strange behavior, plan on replacing it asap. You don't want to risk damage to some otherwise nice components.

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Any good free programs you can recommend to watch my Power / Heat levels?
My motherboard didnt come with anything like that and PCHealth which I think my mobo likes I cant seem to download from gigabytes download center.
the gtx 260 doesnt come with motioring software like that does it?

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

YOU psu is : Antec 500 Earthwatt a nicely rated PSU.

ive read lots of Rosewill PSU review where those CANT deliver what they are rated for ...

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
SRy about this DBL post, here are some more info.

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W spec :
Efficiency > 72%
+3.3@30A
+5V@55A
+12V1@19A
+12V2@19A
-12V@1A
+5V SB@2.5A

72% :( and 19 amp on each 12v rail.

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Will run fine. I got 2 gtx260 in sli with only a 500w psu.

wait wait, your running two gtx260's with this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

That should only be giving you 34 amps on the v12 right?
and it works just fine?

BTW- If i havnt said this already thank you everyone for your help :), I was suprised to see such a quick and helpfull response by a lot of people.
THANKS MUCH, ShakeNBake!

I doubt that he will ever power his computer up with the power supply as hot as in the review, and I know that he will never come anywhere near a 600 watt startup load.
With no overclock on the cpu he'd be hardpressed to be putting a 300 watt load on it.
When quoting from a review you should link to it so that people can get the full story.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/558
Both reviews of Rosewill units ( niether being the OP's ) done by HWS have shown that they were indeed able to provide thier rated power and then some.

I don't reccomend them, but he's already got it so he might as well use it.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
my POWER meter show 300-350 watts on NON sli games. and 400-475 watts on SLI compatible games. i have an OCed, WCed cpu, case loaded with 10 total fans.

dltreetech09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
(im not sure how to quote a person)
FROM HARWARE SECRETS :

The problem when we tried to pull 600 W from this unit was that when the power supply was hot

Boulard83 I dont think this information applys because their talking about a different model, the RD600N-2SB-SL-BK

And in regards to tempature and how hot these rosewills run, I must honestly say this was the coolest psu ive ever felt. I was used to psu's blasting out hot exhaust air but after installing the Rosewill it felt like a cooling breeze.
I also loaded up GTA4 on high res for 20 minutes to try to warm it up but found no change. :)

So when and if my gtx260 ever gets here ill make sure to be checking that (as my only instrument for tempeture moitoring is currently my hand) lol

ive read lots of Rosewill PSU review where those CANT deliver what they are rated for ...

Actually Ive read lots of Rosewill psu newegg reviews and mostly all under 3 stars Issued a DOA. While under 4 stars died after month-year, and 4 star reviews themselves complained about the bright blue LED at night.