Water Cooling Suggestions (Pump and Res Needed)

a7xfire

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
okay heres what im looking at cooling:

3x 8800GTX
QX6700 OC@3.6

this is what i have so far:

3x Thermaltake TMG ND4 full cover water blocks for the 8800GTX's
2x DangerDen Black Ice XtremeII Radiator (2x120)
Swiftech MCR420-QP Radiator (4x120)

and this is what im looking at getting to complete my set up,

DangerDen MC-TDX 775 Water Block
Swiftech MCP655B Pump
HX-1020 Radiator (3x120)
Thermaltake CL-W0032 AquaBay Res

and when i can down the road, im looking at doing a NB+SB Chipset combo block and Mosfet Block from BitsPower (780i)

also, the entire system will be run on 3/8 (9.5mm ID) tubing w/ thermaltake coolant.

is there any suggestions??

are the products i picked to complete my system going to be okay together??

this is my first time watercooling and i want to make sure i do it all correct the first time.

ANY SUGGESTIONS, CRITICISM, ADVICE GREATLY GREAATLY APPRECIATED!!!! :)

edit:

my system specs are:

antec 1200
xfx 780i mb
qx6700
8gb OCZ platinum ram
3x XFX 8800GTX
2x 150gb raptor hdds
all coolermaster fans
thermaltake toughpower 1200watt psu

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Drop the NB/SB/Mosfet blocks. You don't need them unless this build is simply about 'look at all the cool hoses'. They are pointless and will just restrict flow from the CPU and GPU's

Use 1/2"ID tubing; forget 3/8 for what you are trying to do.

DO NOT USE Thermaltake coolant...or any other pre-packaged 'pretty color' coolant. Use distilled water and some biocide or PTNuke from Petra's Tech shop. If you want colors, use colored tubing. The color in the coolant collects and forms goopy crap in your components.

I've never been a fan of the DD TDX block...I had one, hated it. Look into some better CPU blocks. I use a D-tek v2 on my Q6600, works excellent. There are a handful of good ones.

Do some reading;start here:
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

If you already have a 4x and two 2x rads, you don't really need any more than that... not unless you want to go with no fans lol. With reasonable fans like Scyth Kama 70CFM (40dBs?) that should already dissipate 700W or more (based on a 3x120 rad dissipating ~350W to 400W at that fan CFM)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Your NB is designed to run that hot. What we as humans find as 'hot' temperatures is different than what is designed for PC components. Yes, cooler is better, but you aren't going to gain anything by WC your NB or SB...except to say its cooler. When you WC your GPUs and CPUs, you can gain some significant overclocks and they will be more stable under loads with more voltage. Typicall, rule of thumb I follow is, if there is a fan/active cooling on your NB, you are fine.

You're going to need fans that are much more powerful in order to get performance out of the BIXII rads.

a7xfire

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

its 2x '240' rads

You're going to need fans that are much more powerful in order to get performance out of the BIXII rads.

even if i have 2 on each side?

and if so, what fans do you suggest that are still somewhat quiet but still move air.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^That's like asking which Ferrari to buy in order to get good gas mileage. :/

With high performance, you typically have to sacrifice something...in this case, noise. Now, there are some that do better than others, but almost everyone has a different concept of what 'quiet' is.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
From experience when i had my 780i, i Was using 3/4 with 240 koolance Rad, DangerDen Pump and Koolance block. I was forced to block the CPU, NB and Mosfet to get my Q9650 running at 4.1Ghz rock solid.

I don't recommend having your GPU on the same water loop because videocards run so much damn hotter. At the same time with the way, how fast videocards are replaced. I stopped waterblocking my videocards. but if you want to watercool the cards then just have a different loop with a different pump and rad, Figure 120 for each card, so if you have 2 cards then 1 240 rad will do fine.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
also for the record, i have my 2600k @ 5.1Ghz @ 1.5v with 31c idle and 55c load with the same damn DangerDen Pump, Same Damn Koolance Rad and same Waterblock. Don't take corners and if you choose to go 1/2 just remember those tubes don't bend worth crap and All the blocks and rads will just reconvert your 1/2 back to 3/4 via tube barb nipple.