"Reboot and select proper boot device" error!

Reiginko

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble installing Windows 7 on my freshly constructed computer. I've got a SSD, a HDD and a Blu-Ray/DVD player connected- the Blu-Ray player with the Windows 7 boot disc in the tray ready to run- and every time I boot my computer I get the message, "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive...". The only way I can get to BIOS is by disconnecting all my storage drives and rebooting; none of my attempts to get my Windows 7 CD recognized have been effective. No matter what I do, I just get the, "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive..." error.

That being said, I have no experience as a builder and I suspect it's due to some nuance in cable choices that I haven't figured out. I've connected all my drives to the PSU with the peripheral cables provided, I have the SATA III cables connected to the motherboard, but I'm not sure if one cable has been designated the master and the others slaves by default. Any help that could be offered would be appreciated, and I'd be more than happy to provide any additional information regarding my system.

Graciously,
James

Reiginko

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I can't access BIOS from the boot screen with the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive..." message- any key I press is registered as a "press any key to continue". If I remove all storage drives, the computer automatically boots to BIOS but for the life of my I can't locate the boot order anywhere. I use an ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo. I'll try to find it though.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
It could be that you don't have your SATA drivers installed, or they are installed and you need to go in your BIOS and selct AHCI (or SATA) instead of IDE.

With SATA drives, there is no Master/Slave/Cable Select to worry about.

It might be helpful to post your specs. also

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
You should be able to get into the BIOS with the devices all plugged in. Just press whatever key your motherboard manual tells you to press on boot to access BIOS. Once you're in st the boot order to Blue ray player at the top of the list. For SATA plugs no particular order is needed for your devices to function so you do not have to worry about that.

Are you sure that everything is plugged in properly? All your Disk drives and your SSD should have a Sata power cable from the Power supply and one SATA cable connecting it to the motherboard. In order to check that everything is functioning properly you can check in the BIOS and look for the connected device list.

hvpeyton3

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
instead of going to BIOS, push the button to select a device to boot from. Mine is F12 and I push delete to enter BIOS. So when I start my computer I press F12 and then it lets me select a device. You select the Bluray player with the CD in. That should work, but it may be something different from F12 on your computer. I have a Gateway.