XP install detects only 7 gb of hard disk

eternalthinker

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
After a certain disk error, I formatted the windows partition and reinstalled Windows XP. But while installing softwares, there was another disk crash.

Now the situation is:
Whenever I boot to XP setup, it shows only 8gb of the 80gb hardisk as available.
But while using any other linux or dos partition editors(like gparted), it shows only the remaining 72 or so gb. Is there anyway I can detect the entire hardisk and format it, repairing any bad sector?

nsquid

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
hard drive regenerator, but in all honesty it may be time for a new drive. with this many issues on a drive that you could replace for 40 dollars, it may not be worth going through this and through it again the next time it fails.

eternalthinker

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I tried an alternative of hdd regenerator, hdat. Anyhow, there's no progress in the situation. I have my data backed up. So i gues i'll go for a new drive, rather than waitin for a disk crash again. Thanks for our suggestion!!!

Have you tried selecting "custom" install and wipe out all existing partitions and then redo the partition.

Also have you checked the HDD manuf. web site for a utility disk download to verify the integraty of the HDD (Could also use this to re-initialize the disk) would need an "ISO" version and put on a CD (bootable).