Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2010 9:20:25 PM

Hey guys,
First time overclocker here.

Setup:
GIGABYTE MA78LM-S2H
Athlon II X3 440 (good 4th core)
4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066

I've been reading a bunch of guides and I think I get the basics, but one thing's left me confused. Maybe I missed it. When I'm raising my reference clock, don't I need to periodically lower the memory multiplier to keep my memory from exploding or whatever it does? Can someone clarify this for me?

Also any suggestions about OCing these components are much appreciated!

Thanks!
August 17, 2010 9:47:32 PM

Hi - I'm relatively new to OC'ing too.

I have found, in the simplest terms, that to get a better CPU overclock, you have to slow down your memory by some degree - no hard and fast rules here.

To supplement that, the general feeling I have seen is that slowing down your RAM Ato get an extra 200Mhz out of your CPU is worthwhile - i.e. more beefits from a faster CPU than faster RAM.

Hope that helps, I guess some of the experts will come back with the specific stuff!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
August 17, 2010 10:13:22 PM

By increasing the clock frequency you increase your RAM and processor speed and normally your RAM will become unstable before your processor so by dropping the RAM speed you can increase your processor further. At least thats the basics.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
August 18, 2010 1:51:40 AM

Always start out OC by setting the RAM multiplier ratio to the LOWEST value. Then proceed with OC per guidelines at this site.

Do the OC in gradual steps while continuously monitoring temps and voltages - do not exceed manufacturer's recommended voltages.

After the desired OC is attained, check the RAM frequency. If it is too low, increase the RAM ratio to the next higher number and check again.

If you achieve the rated RAM frequency, stop. Increasing the RAM frequency over the rated frequency does not yield significant performance. In fact, it is perfectly ok to underclock the RAM by a small amount. My 1600 MHz RAM is underclocked to 1452 MHz, whereas my i7-920 is OCed to 3.82 GHz on air (CM V8)
m
l
!