Sign in with
Your question

Cloning a 200gb SATA drive to a new SATA 500gb HDD

Last response: in Storage
August 16, 2010 7:59:01 PM

WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD5000AAKS

ATTEMPTS TO INSTALL by CLONING WD HDD INTO EXISITING HP Pavillion a1224n with Samsung 200gb SATA Drive

(Note: This model has a 200Gb SATA Samsung HDD installed AND USES ALL DRIVE LETTERS UP TO J:\ FOR USB Devices)

WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD5000AAKS

Trying to use Acronis Software has failed 12 times. It always trys to use drive letter D. However D:\ in this HP pavillion is on the Primary (Only) Samsung SATA as the Windows "RECOVERY" location.
One time ONLY it found THE WD HD as Drive K:\ --them bombed AGAIN.

Does anyone have a (SIMPLE) suggestion for Cloning the Samsung 200gb to the new 500gb WD Drive?!
And IF SO MANY MANY hours of Thanks to you.

Dave in Atlanta
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 10:29:21 PM

I don't have a whole lot of experience with this, but I have successfuly moved an image from a smaller to a larger hard drive. I was using the free clonezilla live image, and backing up a 250 G drive with both linux and windows partitions on it to an external 640 G drive. I then restored the image to another 640 G drive, put it in the same computer, and it worked perfectly, with all partitions being the same size as when they started. The only thing which I don't know (never needed to find out) is if you can transfer an image directly from one hard drive to another without a third disk to store the image. I would hope you can, but check out the site and see if it will work for you.

Only one thing I'm not clear about - is this hard drive that you are trying to clone from the computer where the image will be? If it isn't (if you are trying to move windows between computers without installing) it won't work. Unless the new one has the exact same hardware as the old one (which I doubt).
August 16, 2010 10:33:21 PM

i do this all the time with symantec's ghost. if there's an option to do the image from a bootable acronis UI that's much more stable than trying to image a drive that's actively running windows at the same time.
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 16, 2010 11:25:35 PM

Exactly. That's why I use the clonzilla live CD.
August 17, 2010 12:58:32 AM

elel said:
I don't have a whole lot of experience with this, but I have successfuly moved an image from a smaller to a larger hard drive. I was using the free clonezilla live image, and backing up a 250 G drive with both linux and windows partitions on it to an external 640 G drive. I then restored the image to another 640 G drive, put it in the same computer, and it worked perfectly, with all partitions being the same size as when they started. The only thing which I don't know (never needed to find out) is if you can transfer an image directly from one hard drive to another without a third disk to store the image. I would hope you can, but check out the site and see if it will work for you.

Only one thing I'm not clear about - is this hard drive that you are trying to clone from the computer where the image will be? If it isn't (if you are trying to move windows between computers without installing) it won't work. Unless the new one has the exact same hardware as the old one (which I doubt).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Both Drive are in the HP. It makes sense to re-think doing a "clone" and do an "image" It is also true (for me) that using a separate (3rd disk) prevents glitches. I've been doing my own PC building and operation's for 15 years--BUT have totally ignored SATA drives. I still have never found a SATA faster then a ripped IDE.
I JUST CAVED on this THIS 500gb SATA when I found a new "blue" Cavier at Amazon for $42.00!
August 17, 2010 1:05:45 AM

nsquid said:
i do this all the time with symantec's ghost. if there's an option to do the image from a bootable acronis UI that's much more stable than trying to image a drive that's actively running windows at the same time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't seem to find the Freeware for symantec ghost<g>
Think I might try Clonezilla first. Thanks for the reminder... I have had trouble in the past cloning from the ORIGIN (Windows) DISK to the blank DISK
!