Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I7 920 Overclocking Help?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 18, 2010 7:12:49 AM

Hey everybody,

New here, and heard around the internet that Tom's is the best place for help when it comes to overclocking help.

So anyway, here's the deal:

I just got a h50 Liquid Cooler for my Intel i7:

Here's my specs before I go too far:
Rocketfish 550W PSU
eVGA x58 SLI LE - It's an older one
Patriot DDR3 RAM 6gb: 7-7-7-20; 2:8 FSB:D RAM
Intel i7: Bloomfield Socket 1366 LGA: 1.223 V - Corsair h50 Liquid Cooling
ATI 5770 Graphics Card
SeaGate 500gb Serial ATA harddrive

So I used eLEET to try and overclock my rig. My problem is that even though I got it up to 3.3 ghz, using a little bit of info from other websites about voltages (nothing for my system specifically), I couldn't input the voltages into the BIOS. I don't really know how to input the voltages, and I don't know how to input my own based upon my rig.

I'd like to get to 3.8-4.0ghz and it to be stable. Does anyone know where there is a good place to get information on overclocking my rig? Or maybe someone can help me individually with my problem? I'd also like to overclock my videocard too.

I'm kind of worried about my motherboard, as I got it a while ago, and it's always given me some trouble. Any help is greatly appreciated!

More about : 920 overclocking

August 19, 2010 9:45:08 AM

With i7, you have to change the BCLK in the BIOS setting of the motherboard, voltage overclocking should also be done in the BIOS settings. If you can't change the voltage in the BIOS settings, I image that you won't be able to change it with software.
Overclocking your videocard with MSI afterburner, Its a very good program.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 7:37:05 PM

Yeah, I got the rocketfish from a friend for 20 bucks, so I can't really complain. It's been okay so far.

Alright, well yes, I did look up how to overclock the i7 on the internet, and I got it up to 3.5 relatively stable. When I run prime95 it gets up to 80C.
Isn't that a little hot? I just bought my h50 cooler, so I'm wondering if that is why it happened. I would like to run it up past that, but idk if it's the cooler, or the fact that I'm doing something wrong.

Here's the voltages:

VCORE: 1.30625V
DIMM Voltage: 1.65V
QPI PLL VCore: 1.10V
CPU PLL VCore: 1.80V
IOH VCore: 1.10V
CPU VTT: 1.25V
IOH/ICH I/O: 1.50V
ICH VCore: 1.05V

EDIT: I'm running the QPI at 170

I think I may have overloaded something that I shouldn't, or maybe I just missed upping the voltage on one.

I also think that I should switch my airflow around. Currently I have it coming through the case from the front and exiting out the back through the CPU cooler. Will that screw with the cooling ability of the H50 significantly?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2010 7:20:48 AM

calmcdonald said:
Yeah, I got the rocketfish from a friend for 20 bucks, so I can't really complain. It's been okay so far.

Alright, well yes, I did look up how to overclock the i7 on the internet, and I got it up to 3.5 relatively stable. When I run prime95 it gets up to 80C.
Isn't that a little hot? I just bought my h50 cooler, so I'm wondering if that is why it happened. I would like to run it up past that, but idk if it's the cooler, or the fact that I'm doing something wrong.

Here's the voltages:

VCORE: 1.30625V
DIMM Voltage: 1.65V
QPI PLL VCore: 1.10V
CPU PLL VCore: 1.80V
IOH VCore: 1.10V
CPU VTT: 1.25V
IOH/ICH I/O: 1.50V
ICH VCore: 1.05V

EDIT: I'm running the QPI at 170

I think I may have overloaded something that I shouldn't, or maybe I just missed upping the voltage on one.

I also think that I should switch my airflow around. Currently I have it coming through the case from the front and exiting out the back through the CPU cooler. Will that screw with the cooling ability of the H50 significantly?


Your vCore seems high for 3.5 GHz, and so are the temps with an H50. The voltage might contribute to the temps, but you must have some other issue in addition. Is the cooler seated well? How much thermal paste did you use? What kind of thermal paste?

With an H50, 4.0 GHz is almost expected (but not always needed or wise) and your vcore could need anywhere from 1.2v to 1.3v. (Most likely closer to 1.3v) At 3.5GHz though, 1.3v seems a bit excessive. At 4 GHz, it should also sit around 70-75C with that cooler.

Also, case airflow almost always flows from the front/bottom to the back/top. It's fine to have the air go through it, but it would be better with an additional exhaust fan.

If you haven't been seeing errors in Prime95 so far, I'd try settings similar to this:

BCLK: 190
Multiplier: 21x
vCore: 1.3v (Make sure 1.3v or so is stable and slowly work your way down, until you find the sweet spot, then back it off a few)
CPU PLL: 1.875v

Keep an eye on your memory frequency, as it will change with the BCLK, if for example, you have 1600MHz rated RAM, make sure your memory multiplier is at 8x not 10x.
8 * 190 = 1520MHz --------------------- 10 * 190 = 1900MHz which would be overclocking the RAM, creating tons of instability that you might mistake to be your CPU.

Watch your temps, I would get them as low as you can before you try to overclock to ensure you get the best stable overclock and your chip doesn't overheat.

One more thing... Let's say 4.0GHz needs 1.3v and loads at 76C, and 3.8GHz only requires 1.225v and loads at 70C... you may want to consider taking the small performance hit (you will not notice the difference of 3.8GHz to 4.0GHz in day to day use) for the lower temps and lower voltages. Often, there is a point where a chip all of a sudden gets power hungry.
m
0
l
August 21, 2010 5:20:40 PM

redechelon said:
Your vCore seems high for 3.5 GHz, and so are the temps with an H50. The voltage might contribute to the temps, but you must have some other issue in addition. Is the cooler seated well? How much thermal paste did you use? What kind of thermal paste?

With an H50, 4.0 GHz is almost expected (but not always needed or wise) and your vcore could need anywhere from 1.2v to 1.3v. (Most likely closer to 1.3v) At 3.5GHz though, 1.3v seems a bit excessive. At 4 GHz, it should also sit around 70-75C with that cooler.

Also, case airflow almost always flows from the front/bottom to the back/top. It's fine to have the air go through it, but it would be better with an additional exhaust fan.

If you haven't been seeing errors in Prime95 so far, I'd try settings similar to this:

BCLK: 190
Multiplier: 21x
vCore: 1.3v (Make sure 1.3v or so is stable and slowly work your way down, until you find the sweet spot, then back it off a few)
CPU PLL: 1.875v

Keep an eye on your memory frequency, as it will change with the BCLK, if for example, you have 1600MHz rated RAM, make sure your memory multiplier is at 8x not 10x.
8 * 190 = 1520MHz --------------------- 10 * 190 = 1900MHz which would be overclocking the RAM, creating tons of instability that you might mistake to be your CPU.

Watch your temps, I would get them as low as you can before you try to overclock to ensure you get the best stable overclock and your chip doesn't overheat.

One more thing... Let's say 4.0GHz needs 1.3v and loads at 76C, and 3.8GHz only requires 1.225v and loads at 70C... you may want to consider taking the small performance hit (you will not notice the difference of 3.8GHz to 4.0GHz in day to day use) for the lower temps and lower voltages. Often, there is a point where a chip all of a sudden gets power hungry.


I tried your settings and my computer wouldn't boot when I input them into the BIOS.

I then tried inputting them into eLEET and once the voltages were in, and I tried boosting past 175, my computer froze and I bsod'd.

The question I have is that should I be running Turbo Mode when I overclock, or should that be turned off?

And so, should I be thinking with that bsod that it's a voltage problem with the cpu? or is it ram? I heard ram underclocking usually results in freezing, whereas cpu's usually result in bsod.

Also, I forgot to mention; my mobo seems to have a problem with keeping the settings it has when I overclock/do anything with it. Like, I'll turn off my computer for the night, and the next morning, my computer won't boot and it'll be stuck in a loop of a few commands for the boot process (ie. little lcd). I then have to reset the bios and my computer then tells me that there was a CMOS error, and that defaults have been reset. I have a feeling that the reason I can't overclock is because my board is malfunctioning. Any thoughts?

Thanks for helping btw, really appreciate it
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 4:11:02 AM

calmcdonald said:
I tried your settings and my computer wouldn't boot when I input them into the BIOS.

I then tried inputting them into eLEET and once the voltages were in, and I tried boosting past 175, my computer froze and I bsod'd.

The question I have is that should I be running Turbo Mode when I overclock, or should that be turned off?

And so, should I be thinking with that bsod that it's a voltage problem with the cpu? or is it ram? I heard ram underclocking usually results in freezing, whereas cpu's usually result in bsod.

Also, I forgot to mention; my mobo seems to have a problem with keeping the settings it has when I overclock/do anything with it. Like, I'll turn off my computer for the night, and the next morning, my computer won't boot and it'll be stuck in a loop of a few commands for the boot process (ie. little lcd). I then have to reset the bios and my computer then tells me that there was a CMOS error, and that defaults have been reset. I have a feeling that the reason I can't overclock is because my board is malfunctioning. Any thoughts?

Thanks for helping btw, really appreciate it


Well, first of all, settings given should always be viewed as a good guide, but chips vary.

Did you make sure that your RAM was running below what the modules are rated at and your memory multiplier is at the appropriate setting? BSOD's can happen from a number of reasons obviously, but they occur easily from RAM instability as well. I've had numerous occasions where I could have SWORN it was the CPU, but just never paid enough attention to the memory. Not only does your frequency change, but paying attention to your timings is important as well. If you RAM is set at what it is rated at, or is just on Auto, you're fine as far as timings go. Underclocking RAM shouldn't even cause issues, especially that minimal of an underclock.

Try to write down your BSOD error message, it might help.

If you don't already have it, CPU-Z is a VERY handy program for viewing your current settings, including your memory frequencies and timings. Keep in mind if your RAM is running at 1333MHz, it will display HALF of this. DDR = Double Data Rate, so don't freak out when it looks low.

I always turn Turbo off, and leave it off. If you want it on, I suggest finding a stable overclock with it off, then enabling it afterward and working from there.

As far as the settings resetting, I wouldn't worry about it... your board works fine with stock settings and that's a pretty good board, so just keep trying to find stable settings. If it keeps happening with many, many different settings and you can't find stable anything, then maybe you should worry. But overclocking is touchy, and some little setting could even be throwing things off.

Is your board model number: 141-BL-E757-TR LGA? What issues have you had with it in the past?

EDIT: Oh, one more thing! What's the temp situation looking like? That's huge.
m
0
l
August 22, 2010 7:49:48 AM

redechelon said:
Well, first of all, settings given should always be viewed as a good guide, but chips vary.

Did you make sure that your RAM was running below what the modules are rated at and your memory multiplier is at the appropriate setting? BSOD's can happen from a number of reasons obviously, but they occur easily from RAM instability as well. I've had numerous occasions where I could have SWORN it was the CPU, but just never paid enough attention to the memory. Not only does your frequency change, but paying attention to your timings is important as well. If you RAM is set at what it is rated at, or is just on Auto, you're fine as far as timings go. Underclocking RAM shouldn't even cause issues, especially that minimal of an underclock.

Try to write down your BSOD error message, it might help.

If you don't already have it, CPU-Z is a VERY handy program for viewing your current settings, including your memory frequencies and timings. Keep in mind if your RAM is running at 1333MHz, it will display HALF of this. DDR = Double Data Rate, so don't freak out when it looks low.

I always turn Turbo off, and leave it off. If you want it on, I suggest finding a stable overclock with it off, then enabling it afterward and working from there.

As far as the settings resetting, I wouldn't worry about it... your board works fine with stock settings and that's a pretty good board, so just keep trying to find stable settings. If it keeps happening with many, many different settings and you can't find stable anything, then maybe you should worry. But overclocking is touchy, and some little setting could even be throwing things off.

Is your board model number: 141-BL-E757-TR LGA? What issues have you had with it in the past?

EDIT: Oh, one more thing! What's the temp situation looking like? That's huge.


Alright, I think I found the problem.

I notice that when I boost the QPI, my Ram gets boosted as well. As I get past around 155, my ram is WAY over the recommended level (1600mhz).

How do I prevent this? I know I'm not supposed to overclock my Ram so much, but I can't seem to change any voltages to get the Ram down.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 8:19:57 AM

calmcdonald said:
Alright, I think I found the problem.

I notice that when I boost the QPI, my Ram gets boosted as well. As I get past around 155, my ram is WAY over the recommended level (1600mhz).

How do I prevent this? I know I'm not supposed to overclock my Ram so much, but I can't seem to change any voltages to get the Ram down.


Increasing your BCLK (not QPI) would increase your memory frequency. QPI increasing is also a result of your BCLK increasing.

And like I said before, you have to make sure your memory multiplier is at the appropriate setting for the given BCLK value.
You just have to do a little math. If your memory multiplier is at 10x and your BLCK is at 190, your RAM is trying to run at 1900MHz, which is obviously too far. 190 * 10 = 1900MHz

If you're going for 4.0GHz, and you're setting your BCLK to 190, your memory multiplier needs to be 8x. 190 * 8 = 1520MHz.

To lower your memory frequency, you wouldn't change voltage...

Share
August 27, 2010 2:08:36 AM

Best answer selected by calmcdonald.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 2:10:11 AM

Awesome. That's exactly what I needed to hear. It took me a while to comprehend this, but once I did, I got my computer to run at 4.0 easy. I'm running 3.8 like you said earlier, because I do find that it runs less hot, as well as less voltage.

Thanks so much for your help
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2010 3:16:21 AM

calmcdonald said:
Awesome. That's exactly what I needed to hear. It took me a while to comprehend this, but once I did, I got my computer to run at 4.0 easy. I'm running 3.8 like you said earlier, because I do find that it runs less hot, as well as less voltage.

Thanks so much for your help


Cool man =] Glad it all worked out!
m
0
l
!